live black worms as a food source

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reading one of the "question of the day" threads from April. In this discussion, the topic of LIVE Black worms came up. Some saying that they are great for fish that are picky eaters and that the worms are a great food source.

i have a LFS that sells these live black worms. I was talking with the owner a few weeks back, and he said that the black worms are better for fresh water fish and that they don't have much nutritional value to be used as a main food source. I could see this being the case, as the worms are very thin and long. Are they empty calories for the fish?

although it wasn't that long ago, In my last tank, i remembered that my Banggais were very picky. Although they would eat frozen food from time to time, i had to also give them these live black worms so i at least knew they were eating something. I never gave it a thought on how much nutrition there actually was.

with my new set of banggais being picky as well, i have considered trying the live worms again, regardless of what the LFS says. He could have easily said, YES! buy them, just to make a sale. but he told me to not waste the money.

so, from reading on here, it sounds like some reefers use it as a food source.
Can anyone share their experiences with these live black worms? I'd like to get more feedback before buying them

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know much about the black worms but some members will have info on them

Mattiejay6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mainly for picky eater such as copper bands you will find this subject is approached more so. The worms die pretty fast in salt water, and seems that it’s a bait and switch food of getting them acclimated and eating then introducing them mysis etc.

However there are members that culture these worms and feed them more often and white worms I believe?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed black worms as part of a diverse diet for my fish, mainly for the different gut bacteria that they will give. I also culture white worms and feed those more often since I gut load them with multigrain bread, yogurt, and nutritional yeast. Even with that said, they are still just a part of the overall diet I like to give my fish.. main staples are frozen foods, ie LRS, Rods, PE mysis, spirulina brine, fish eggs, and squid.

Back