Live Rock Enhance killed my alk consumption

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have been using it again for the last 2 weeks along with my feeding twice a day when I can. Things are looking much better than they were before
Screenshot_20190723-003443_Gallery.jpg

Brittleyak

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on OP and this product + alk problems?
Just got a bottle and curious about possible downsides

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Updates on OP and this product + alk problems?
Just got a bottle and curious about possible downsides
Melves reef on youtube raves about this stuff. Ive never messed with it myself. The alk consumption drop could be caused by the bacteria releasing alk that was trapped in the detritus from precipitation or absorption. Could slso be the rock is leaching alk back out in a buffering action now that the bacteria is cleaning it up. Another big possibility is the change in parameters has caused the coral to stop growing temporarily while it adapts. My guess is there was alk precipitation occuring, since he was dosing 50ml a day on such a small tank and little stoney coral collection.

SeaCreature

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've always been confused with how much I've had to dose (7 month old tank) It's been 60mL a day on a 45 gallon tank almost from the start. I have high pH and decent coraline growth, so always attributed to that. I have no precipitation on heaters/pumps. No sps, only a few small sps. Started with dry rock. I have done 3 doses of Live Rock Enhance the last week... my alk consumption went from 60mL to 7mL. I haven't noticed any other changes with the tank. Confused... looking for any insights. I'm not sure if it's a good sign that things may be better balanced somehow? Or a sign my tank is ticked off from it.
Did you ever get a satisfactory response to you original question? I recently started using this product and I have noticed the same thing. Like you, I have always questioned my consumption based on such a small bio load but attributed it to my coralline growth. I also believe that starting to dose two part to early (newbie mistake) helped create the imbalance. Once I was better informed I stopped dosing and tried to reset, calculate true consumption multiple times and eventually reset to a lower dosage ( I still thought my consumption was high) but never as low as my current consumption rate. I am still getting good polyp extension and the coloration on those that corals did not have issues prior to my using reef enhance still look good. Some of my corals have issues from me going nuclear trying to beat Dino’s but most of them appear to be recovering.

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was under the impression it sort of help rejuvenate old rock. And help clear the blockages in the pores of the rock. I just wish I never used it now. I don't think it damaged the rock, it did look cleaner after. I just think it threw my tank out of whack and I'm in the process of trying to get it back thriving again before I shut it down
its a de-nitrifying bacteria, the same type that is in Dr Tims Waste away, or seachems pristine. its all different ways of adding bateria that breaks down detritus. I just prefer Dr Tims is all. its not harming anything. This guy uses it and has never had to do a water change. But it will lower nitrates naturally and slowly so not ideal if you have dinos unless your dosing nitrates or your nitrates are high naturally.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back