Live sand With seahorses ?

GoBigorGohome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been reading live rock isn't a good idea with seahorses, what about live sand ? If not what's a good idea to use instead?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Live sand would be fine in my opinion. I am not sure why LR isn't ok either. Why do they say it's not good?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of seahorses are you planing on keeping? With dwarves you have to be careful because their size makes them much more sensitive to things like hydroids that can sting them. With the larger species like erectus (which is a hardier species and more suited for beginners) I haven't heard if it being as much a problem. I think your best bet is to start with dry rock and seed with some clean LR that is clear of any harmful life.

OP
OP
G

GoBigorGohome

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning on dawarves i have a 6.5 gal. so i just put a piece of dry rock and live sand in it so far.

Coral Pimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting im planning on getting 2 sea horses into a 60g cube lps tank... would this be a bad idea? it had about 150lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of sand and i want to add another 30lbs of dry sand. what should i do first jump the sand in or get the sea horses?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting im planning on getting 2 sea horses into a 60g cube lps tank... would this be a bad idea? it had about 150lbs of live rock and 20 lbs of sand and i want to add another 30lbs of dry sand. what should i do first jump the sand in or get the sea horses?

Are there any other tank inhabitants in the tank? Are you planning on making this tank a species tank? There are some LPS that you can't keep with seahorses and keep in mind that seahorses require cooler temps (in the lower 70s) than we normally run our reef tanks otherwise they are prone to infections. Also seahorses require more frequent feedings which can make maintaining good water quality difficult. I don't know how much research you've done already so I may be telling you things you already know but just wanted to point out a few things just in case you didn't.

Back