loctite epoxy putty reef safe??????

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is the difference in these 2 products one is ocean wonders it is blue with white just like loctite I can not for the life of me find the ingrediants for ocean wonders brand. http://www.oceanswonders.com/catalog...91/5520828.htm

loctite is epoxy with amine resin & polymercaptan both the water proof and also the plain brands

auga mend is made from epoxy resins and triethylene-tetramine and i know aqua mend is safe!

but No info. on the other brands I can find if someone has a aquastik or oceans wonders please let me know the ingrediants I don't want to add this to the tank if not safe thats for sure. not sure if anyone has some laying around. they could read off for me...

phil121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used loctite epoxy so far with no issues. I did some searching on this a while back after both Home Depot and Lowe's stopped carrying Aquamend in my area. From others experience, not my own, loctite can cause your skimmer to go nuts so they suggested it be turned off for a while after use but it didn't seem to cause any ill effects, these threads were on another site. I have not had that issue yet, but I have not put any in my tank that was not at least somewhat dry.

Having said that...

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/f20/might-have-made-big-mistake-39170-3.html

here is a link that would seem to disagree from this site.

OP
OP
L

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmm I will let it dry completly before I add to the system I want to make some more rock structures with it is the reason I am asking it is made from 2 different types of chemicals so I didn't know if one was ok or not. I have one tube of aquamend left I will save for the tank when adding corals

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have used it aswell and its works great. also used their 2 part epoxy to cover pond foam with sand which work great as well.

Reefer831

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquamend changed there name to water weld, I called the number on the back of an old Aquamend box and found this out.

OP
OP
L

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah the difference I see besides the color is the ingrediants it is made from. aquamend aka jbweld water weld is made from epoxy resins and triethylene-tetramine as opposed to loctite is made from different ingrediants this is in a putty form not the liquid 2 part mix. on some of the different puttys it clearly stated do not use with aquariums these do not.

Gazog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think that the smartest thing said in that entire thread was "I need to do more research rather than relying on 1 person's opinions."

I have been using Loctite putty for the last 3 years in all my tanks with out any adverse effects. I used it after letting dry and put it directly into
the tank. My entire rock structure is held together with that and Aquamend also. So in my opinion there is nothing wrong with it.

OP
OP
L

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok I will let it dry and then add the structure to the tank I have a big enough opening lol it is a 240 I just wanted to add some more coral placement areas to the tank. and will be using rock from the sump. med. size pieces....

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 28.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back