Looking for a Glass Driller!

macclellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By that, I mean someone with the tools and experience using them. I want to drill my 75g, just two holes for two 5/8" hoses. I need whatever size holes drilled for whatever size bulkheads I'd need for those hoses. So anybody who knows more than bulkheads than me, which is just about everyone, please chime in and help me get'er done!

This would be for the first week of October, so a bit in advance. I just thought I'd see if I could find someone before I went ahead and ordered the glass-hole cutters and what-not unnecessarily. Free frag and beer, wine, or whatever for your troubles!

Runner

Grandmaster Sparky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don (imsqueak) has the right tools, I think. I haven't seen him around in a while, though.

mkenochm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keith and I have the tools but haven't had any luck in drilling glass successful. If you find someone to drill it but need the tools LMK.

OP
OP
macclellan

macclellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys & gal. I'll contact you for the drill-bit if I can't find someone else. I'd have to practice some before I drilled a real tank.

How big of a bulkhead and hole do I need for 5/8" hoses? I assume a 3/4" bulkhead would be best?

I want to drill the back, which is not tempered, so no worries there.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got to drill a tank for fun at one of our frag fests.
It was so easy. I would have never thought it was so simple.
The main thing is to let the drill do the work, and apply very little to no pressure to the bit.

A. Angle it a tiny bit to "scratch" the glass to get the bit started.
B. Have water running over it the whole time to keep it cool, and remove the glass particles.
C. Go slow and let the bit do the work.
D. Keep it as perpendicular as you can to the glass.
E. If it hangs up or gets stuck, don't make a sudden movement, and let the bit/drill guide you out.

If you keep the drill Rpms in the medium range, and use fluid movement through the glass you should have a problem at all.

Practicing on a junk piece of glass that is supported is a good idea.
Good luck.

TriMax

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for a 3/4 inch bulkhead, which I would purchase before to make sure, needs a 1.5 inch hole. If you use the normal bulkhead and not the schedule 80. The schedule 80 bulkhead needs a 1.625 inch hole (1 and 5/8)

Hefton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Sikrd, it is very easy to drill the holes yourself. I just drilled a couple last night in my corner bracing. I used the bit to core a hole through a 1/4" scrap piece of acrylic, and used it as a jig. The hole saw that I used does not have a pilot bit, so it tends to move all around the glass until you get it started. You can as Sikryd mentioned hold it on an angle to get it started. I didn't want to take any chances scratching the bracing , so I laid the jig on top of the glass until I cut into the glass enough to hold it steady. I also used plumbers putty to make a dam around the area I was cutting, and simply filled it with water. I drilled two holes through 1" thick glass with a cordless drill without any problems. Here is link with a video showing it done.

Drilling GH

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back