Looking for advice

ggnzlz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys new here im looking for advice. Because I'm going nuts I guess you could say I went down the rabbit hole of chasing the "perfect" numbers I have a redsea nano 34 gallon its been running for 2/3 months.
The way I cycled was using foam filters that were soaked in a mature tank for 3 weeks before I set up my tank,live bacteria, caribsea aragalive,some live rock and some dry rock Adding up to 20 pounds. Tank cycled in two days.
Currently have 2 anemones 1 duncan coral 1 tyree toadstool 2 clowns 1 cleaner shrimp and cuc consisting of 4 hermits and 2 turbos

Ph holds steady 7.7
Alk.15.7
Mag.1390
Cal.500
Sg1.024
Nitrites basically non existent
Nitrates fluctuate 20ppm-30ppm
Phos .1-.25
Has a skimmer carbon filters and bio ceramic mmedianothing wrong with anyone everything seems happy alkalinity is being used up everything looks and seems great but I feel like I could do better and bring my all. Down to 10-12 and my ph I want a minimum 8.1 ideally 8.3
I use coral pro salt and a 4 stage rodi mix it all up in a 20 gallon brute trash bucket and do 20% water change every other week whats my solution here ? Sorry for the long post just exhausting my finances chasing these numbers between buying additives and testing equipment
I use salifert and Hannah checker

OP
OP
G

ggnzlz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your inhabitants doing? Are they upset or closed?
Nope everyone is growing and doing great the toadstool has been in for about 2 weeks now and the first time he shrunk/closed up was yesterday he hasn't perked back up but will extend polyps everything is good im just wondering if chasing the so called perfect numbers is absolutely necessary

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope everyone is growing and doing great the toadstool has been in for about 2 weeks now and the first time he shrunk/closed up was yesterday he hasn't perked back up but will extend polyps everything is good im just wondering if chasing the so called perfect numbers is absolutely necessary
I dont believe so, I watch my inhabitants and leave things alone other than water changes. Only thing I would say is to raise ph since thats low. Maybe others can help! Im not super big on the chemistry side, just not my strong suit. I have fowlr tanks. Only one reef and its only got a few frags in it right now

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being you are changing so much water I would find my garbage can and throw all those test kits in it. Don't worry about parameters if everything seems fine or you will just screw it up or get a stroke.

I know your tank is new but I have not tested most of those things since the 80s and my tank is fine.

You are changing enough water to add whatever it is your testing for. I feel you are changing to much water but thats just me. Testing can drive you nuts and it is not hardly needed.

This hobby is relatively easy but we make it complicated. Leave it along and let it just settle in by itself and grow bacteria which is the most important thing that needs to be done now.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't dosing, I'm not sure your 15.7 alk is accurate. RSCP mixes to 13 alk iirc. I wouldn't chase pH.

Consider a lower alk salt.

OP
OP
G

ggnzlz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont believe so, I watch my inhabitants and leave things alone other than water changes. Only thing I would say is to raise ph since thats low. Maybe others can help! Im not super big on the chemistry side, just not my strong suit. I have fowlr tanks. Only one reef and its only got a few frags in it right now

If you aren't dosing, I'm not sure your 15.7 alk is accurate. RSCP mixes to 13 alk iirc. I wouldn't chase pH.

Consider a lower alk salt.
Yeah the person that helped me set everything up and sold me the setup told to use coral pro since its what he uses but I added some seachem marine buffer chasing ph haven't added anything else really I did try a two part like a month back but same result high alk to where water changes cut off my ph progress so I really am thinking a lower alk salt

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back