Looking for help… broken overflow box

Ufjd144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a little dilema I have, my internal plastic overflow box seems to have a crack that starts half way, and goes down all the way to the bottom, so now I am running the risk of having the tank drain into my sump all the way down to the level of the lower overflow pipe. Obviously, there is no way in hell my sump can take so much water. So I am an outage away from a living room full of water. Are there any solutions to fixing that crack on that plastic box while the tank has some water? Are there any super glue and/or silicones that I can use that will dry fast enough to avoid having to drain the whole tank?
I have the Herbie overflow system, so my lower pipe is much lower than the water level, so since my tank is 400 gallons, I could potentially have 80 to 100 gallons go into the sump/floor.
IMG_0303.jpeg
IMG_0304.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Birdman Broham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
How large is the crack? Will coral gel work? I’m not sure if there are any fish safe silicones that will dry fast enough without the toxins being in the water

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get stick on water proof patches - called rescue tape or something

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch…. Don’t think there’s really a cure without draining the tank and doing a proper repair… the only thing I can come up with would be try getting a acrylic patch cut and put a ton of super glue gel all over it and slap it on there in hopes of stopping the leak temporary..”at least long enough to dry it” if that works you could shut the return pump off and dry the patch then use Weldon 16 around it to secure it properly.. then I would be comfortable with it long term. Is it actual crack or a corner glue joint come apart?

OP
OP
Ufjd144

Ufjd144

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ouch…. Don’t think there’s really a cure without draining the tank and doing a proper repair… the only thing I can come up with would be try getting a acrylic patch cut and put a ton of super glue gel all over it and slap it on there in hopes of stopping the leak temporary..”at least long enough to dry it” if that works you could shut the return pump off and dry the patch then use Weldon 16 around it to secure it properly.. then I would be comfortable with it long term. Is it actual crack or a corner glue joint come apart?
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I purchased a couple of black acrylic sheets, and I am going to put some super glue gel and hope it holds. I like the idea of then coming back and draining the return chamber to silicone inside to make it last longer.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I purchased a couple of black acrylic sheets, and I am going to put some super glue gel and hope it holds. I like the idea of then coming back and draining the return chamber to silicone inside to make it last longer.
Don’t use silicone, buy a tube of Weldon 16 it’s a chemical weld for acrylic and will hold much better.. if you wanna put a bead after to stop a minute leak or something sure but it doesn’t stick at all and will peel off if you pull on it.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back