Looking for help diagnosing red swollen mark on abdomen of Swallowtail Angle

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had two Swallowtail angles in QT for 10 days, following the humblefish hybrid tank transfer QT method, and noticed a red mark on the abdomen of one who has not eaten since arrival. Any help with diagnosis would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I've had two Swallowtail angles in QT for 10 days, following the humblefish hybrid tank transfer QT method, and noticed a red mark on the abdomen of one who has not eaten since arrival. Any help with diagnosis would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
This is likely post injury and a scar from such. While it should heal on its own, Keep an eye on it for development of sore or infection. I see this fish is in quarantine and if you are medicating, please note what you are using. It would not be bad to have on hand seachen Kanaplex in case infection arises
Maintain good water quality and diet to offer best chance of healing

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks

Ugh - that's a serious infection. The not eating, the raised swollen area and the rapid breathing all point to an internal infection. I'd like to give you some idea for a treatment, but it is unlikely that anything will help this fish. My guess is that the fish was "needled" by the collector to decompress it, and they missed the swim bladder and punctured the gut, leading to peritonitis/sepsis. Sorry!

OP
OP
O

Orion9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you both for the quick responses and helpful information! I'll continue to monitor the fish and hope for the best, I've contacted the vendor for support as well. Thanks again!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 12 32.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 21 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back