Looking to build a tank

Mpraytor2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking to build custom mixed reef tank roughly 300+g but I need some points in the right direction! First where is a good place to buy glass? Hardware stores or order it cut? Should I double layer the bottom I have seen it holds up to shocks a little better not sure if that’s true. Lastly does the color of silicone matter or is it just based on taste? Thanks guys any advise will help.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking to build custom mixed reef tank roughly 300+g but I need some points in the right direction! First where is a good place to buy glass? Hardware stores or order it cut? Should I double layer the bottom I have seen it holds up to shocks a little better not sure if that’s true. Lastly does the color of silicone matter or is it just based on taste? Thanks guys any advise will help.
The silicone color shouldn't matter as long as you use the silicone adhesive (not sealant). Also, silicone can either be cured with acetate (the one that smells like vinegar) or ammonia. For a new tank, either should be acceptable as long as you note the additional ammonia in the ammonia-cured adhesive when you begin cycling the new tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look to a glass supplier for the glass. There are many options. The more iron, the more green tint you will get. They can polish your edges to take out any imperfections (uneveness). Now you should be aware that glass for a large tank will be heavy. Moving and positioning those pieces can be tricky when you are bonding the pieces together.

OP
OP
Mpraytor2

Mpraytor2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should look to a glass supplier for the glass. There are many options. The more iron, the more green tint you will get. They can polish your edges to take out any imperfections (uneveness). Now you should be aware that glass for a large tank will be heavy. Moving and positioning those pieces can be tricky when you are bonding the pieces together.
Thanks. I know for a tank this big I should push for like 5/8 or thicker.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a tank that big.. and a DIY I would definitely go acrylic. 300 gallon home made glass tank with no experience... scarry.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of places to get glass cut to order. I would shop around. Local glass suppliers were crazy with prices in my area. I know some aquarium builders might do a custom order of cut glass. I ended up ordering from glass cages and was very happy with my order. As for bonding the glass I would use RTV 108 as it is an adhesive. Color does not matter from my experience. At that size tank for DIY I would be using a stainless steel top and bottom frame unless you go with a channeled wood epoxy/PVC bottom. Glass thickness I would just go by what reliable aquarium manufacturers use. Plywood is also an option at that size. I personally am not a fan of acrylic but it's not to say it's not a good tank building material.

Lukester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my silicone from Glass Cages. You gotta call them to order it, but it will get to you in a few days. Takes all the guesswork out. You can get black or clear and they will tell you how many tubes you need and glass thickness. They were a little on the fence with my build of using 1/2" glass for a 24" tall tank.

My current tank was built by Miracles, and they reinforce the bottom to the sides with an inner rim of glass. Few inches wide but spans the length and also width of the tan. This way, if your worried the base doesn't seal perfectly, that inner "ring" of glass is easier to accomplish that. I think the bottom edges have the most pressure. (could be wrong about that thought. Seems to make sense) Anyway, it's a cheap way for some peace of mind.... There are also vertical inner glass strips on the back two corners. (top to bottom)

There's a video on youtube that shows a tank build using an entire sheet of glass a little smaller than the bottom. It's siliconed in place on top of the bottom piece, and the sides are put into the "half channel". This way, it gets a double seal and stronger bottom...looks like kind of a pain though so I'd just stick with the 5" strips if you're gonna do it.

I am a glass supplier...too bad you're not closer. I could help you out. Glass is not cheap if buying retail. To go from 1/2" to 3/4" is over double the cost. maybe even tripple.

Last edited:

Lukester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a number of places to get glass cut to order. I would shop around. Local glass suppliers were crazy with prices in my area. I know some aquarium builders might do a custom order of cut glass. I ended up ordering from glass cages and was very happy with my order. As for bonding the glass I would use RTV 108 as it is an adhesive. Color does not matter from my experience. At that size tank for DIY I would be using a stainless steel top and bottom frame unless you go with a channeled wood epoxy/PVC bottom. Glass thickness I would just go by what reliable aquarium manufacturers use. Plywood is also an option at that size. I personally am not a fan of acrylic but it's not to say it's not a good tank building material.
What do you mean by "bonding the glass"? I'm building a big tank too, but haven't heard of doing that. Could you explain it and the process?

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by "bonding the glass"? I'm building a big tank too, but haven't heard of doing that. Could you explain it and the process?

I was just referring to using an adhesive to bond two pieces of glass together rather than using standard silicone that is considered a sealer rather than an adhesive.

Lukester

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just referring to using an adhesive to bond two pieces of glass together rather than using standard silicone that is considered a sealer rather than an adhesive.
I see. Kinda thought that.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back