LPS nosediving, help please.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some good advice. I'm afraid of using the Bayer stuff, but I will dose with chemiclean as I have done a few times in the past for redslime.

I understand I too was worried about using Bayer.

But after talking to many successful Reefers they all told me that Bayer is by far the Least Stressful Dip for Coral.

It is also the most successful at getting rid of Pest like Nudi's and Red Bugs, etc.

Coral has a very very primitive Nervous System that is unaffected by Bayer but it send Pests into Seizures and Knockes them off Coral (Still like all Dips does not kill the eggs unfortunatly).

I even asked many of them if you could only use one Dip without hesitation right away they all said Bayer (These are people that utilize like 6 Different Dips too).

I have used Bayer many many times since then and have never had any problems.

Mostly I do SPS which are considered the most sensitive Corals to Dips in general.

But I have done LPS and Softies too.

I have never had any problems.

I am now a firm believer that Bayer is the best dip out there by far.

I would strongly suggest using it.

I wish I would have done it earlier but I didn't know about it.

I lost many LPS thinking Revive would Save them.

Those that used Bayer said that Revive would do nothing and to do Bayer / Chemi-Clean.

And boy they were right.

Last edited:

Dextereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't use revive.

I did that on my Chalices and some of them turned Black and still continued to recede.

I did it when I was instructed to use Bayer.

I then did Bayer a week later.

I really wish that I would have listened as I lost all the color in a bunch of my Chalices.

Chalices are sensitive.

Like everything in this hobby there are probably multiple factors involved in your chalice losing color. I have witnessed revive hurting corals if too much is used. Everything that goes into my tank goes through a revive bath first and have not lost one animal to the dip. Be careful when you say not to use something if it's just personal preference. What works for one may not work for another.

Back to the task...have your PH levels been consistent? Any swings?

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalice do not like alk swings! I lost aprox 100 prized chalice due to malfunctioning doser. I'm a chalice freak, and 90% of the time when chalice receed is due to a swing. Do you dose? Calcium Reactor? 2-part?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chalice do not like alk swings! I lost aprox 100 prized chalice due to malfunctioning doser. I'm a chalice freak, and 90% of the time when chalice receed is due to a swing. Do you dose? Calcium Reactor? 2-part?

That sucks.

How much of a Swing was it?

Do you Dip your Chalices when they start to Receed?

If so, What Dips do you use?

reef life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swings were like a roller coaster. You can try dipping receeding coral, but if tank is not stable it won't help.

Rausch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this happen to a couple of chalices of mine one being a very prized and old Bubblegum monster which started to recede. Checked the water everything tested well and all of the other corals SPS and LPS where doing fine. Dipped the corals in Coral RX while i did a large water change and after that everything seemed to bounce back with lots of vigor. Not sure if it was the water change or dip but the combo has really seemed to work. I was told in the beginning NOT to chase numbers like PH or Nitrates or calcium or ect. instead put new clean fresh tested Saltwater into your tank and get rid of whatever water is in there and hurting your corals.

H2O

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there r chalices next to acans or favias at night the tenticles come out and all out stinging war breaks out also the bottom gets less water flow they get less food due to growing demand with coral growth water changes should increase not the other way around then folks come out and say my tank got old tank syndrome no such thing in plain English it means u got old and slow with them water changest that's the basic science

OP
OP
O

Omega0397

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: I dosed chemiclean last week and did the requisite 20% water change and fresh carbon afterwards and I can't say that everything looks amazing, but some of the LPS have stopped receding. The bummer is that they still don't look happy. I ended up losing a few more pieces and it looks like I'm going to lose a torch next, but the chalices seemed to have stablilized. Still don't know what is going on to cause this, but it makes me sick to see so much livestock just wither away. Moments like these make me wonder why I'm in this hobby!

Tab28

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still don't know what is going on to cause this, but it makes me sick to see so much livestock just wither away. Moments like these make me wonder why I'm in this hobby!

I believe just about everyone of us have said that at least once. We fume for awhile but we venture back into LFS once we feel comfortable. Bet next time you will alter your method of introducing livestock. The sting of a crash or anything on same level will cause almost an over cautious state.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back