Luxo’s Lair - Reviving the Fluval 13.5

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
I’m sure many of you have grown acquainted with Luxo the lunatic, the clownfish infamous for many fish deaths over the years. As of recent, she’s been very well behaved in the 40 Breeder setup. However, while on vacation, multiple fish of mine mysteriously vanished. While I was 99% sure my angelfish was the problem and hence removed him, there’s still 1% of me that is hesitant on restocking the 40B while there’s a clownfish in there with a rather shady past. Thus, in order to provide a 100% peaceful environment in the 40B, I’m moving Luxo back to where it all began, along with her mate, Sharkbait. I’ll also move a BTA over there from the 40B after a couple weeks of cycling (which shouldn’t take terribly long since a lot of media and rocks are from my current tank).

The future inhabitants:
IMG_1924.jpeg

Most of the rockwork will involve corals that have died in the past. Certainly the most expensive scaping ever!
IMG_7417.jpeg

Nice 20 gallon stands seem hard to come by these days, so I wound up buying a 29 gallon stand.
IMG_7490.jpeg

I look forward to posting future updates soon!

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along!

I have had a pair of true perc's going on 13 years. I am in the process of a 60 gal cube build. Been debating whether or not they will be moved to the 60 or put in a future WB20 I plan to aquire and set up in my bedroom for very similar reasons. My female perc shares some unfortunate traits with Luxo...their only other tank mate currently is a royal gramma that hides from her 99% of the time.

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Merry Christmas, everyone!
I got a brand new random flow generator to help with the tank’s water movement. So far it seems to have a very positive effect on the overall current.
IMG_9153.jpeg
Merry Christmas! I'm trying these for the first time on my new 60 build. I have heard nothing but good about them!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been a while since last update! So the tank saw an ungodly amount of hair algae as well as nearly every coral bleaching in the tank. Turns out that the timer was all out of whack and was on for four hours longer than it should be! With that fixed, maybe I can stop inexplicably having problems in the tank!!

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been quite a week for the tank. I had to remove Sharkbait on account to a nasty injury to his throat. He began to breathe very heavily and his gills looked rather red. I decided to quarantine him for a bit and treat with kanamycin, which fortunately worked very well! I hope Luxo isn’t beginning to get nasty with her partner, because that would be yet another tank I’d need to set up!!
IMG_0223.jpeg
IMG_0229.jpeg

I also decided to move my euphyllia from the 40B into this tank (as they were closing up a ton in there), and it turns out that the Fluval is a very good environment for them! I ran water tests, and it seems that the tank has excellent alkalinity readings, unlike the 40B which has massive swings. So whatever’s going on in the Fluval is clearly working very well!
IMG_0447.jpeg
IMG_0448.jpeg

08TRDOFFROAD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been quite a week for the tank. I had to remove Sharkbait on account to a nasty injury to his throat. He began to breathe very heavily and his gills looked rather red. I decided to quarantine him for a bit and treat with kanamycin, which fortunately worked very well! I hope Luxo isn’t beginning to get nasty with her partner, because that would be yet another tank I’d need to set up!!
IMG_0223.jpeg
IMG_0229.jpeg

I also decided to move my euphyllia from the 40B into this tank (as they were closing up a ton in there), and it turns out that the Fluval is a very good environment for them! I ran water tests, and it seems that the tank has excellent alkalinity readings, unlike the 40B which has massive swings. So whatever’s going on in the Fluval is clearly working very well!
IMG_0447.jpeg
IMG_0448.jpeg
That is a pretty nasty wound!

What was the difference in alk between the two systems?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back