MACNA starts today! Who else is excited?

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super excited to attend MACNA from Brazil, but have not seen many posts on the forum about the event.

Are many of you attending? Are you excited? About any particular subject?

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Miller535 Ha, I just posted over there too. :)

I'll be there, I'm going to miss all the socializing but the talks are always good.

If anybody else is thinking about it - go for it, it's only $30 for the whole weekend and tickets are still on sale.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disappointed you had to buy tickets AHEAD of time. I had planned on watching most of the talks. Got home just after 4 and was about to purchase and see they stopped selling tickets. I figured you could buy at any time...

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm more available:

If BRS stands by what it's done before, they might put the videos on the BRS channel again, which will be super cool. I hope they'll put the Q&A's on this time...

I'm mostly looking forward to all of the Saturday talks. Fishy medicine sounds cool, and so does the science + hobby stuff as well!

OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I'm more available:

If BRS stands by what it's done before, they might put the videos on the BRS channel again, which will be super cool. I hope they'll put the Q&A's on this time...

I'm mostly looking forward to all of the Saturday talks. Fishy medicine sounds cool, and so does the science + hobby stuff as well!

They said this year there won´t be videos to watch after the event...

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will someone please, for the love of all that is reefing ask five or six MACNA attendees how they moved their reef there without having to show up 30 days early for cycling

what is the magic

asking for all forum cyclers in the universe

this is the one place on the planet allowed to follow different cycling rules, get the inside details Ill put it on wikipedialeaks

Last edited:

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm....it says that the meeting's being recorded...I also can't find anything about violating any terms of service regarding recording the session itself...¯\_(ツ)_/¯ . That being said, I lack the guts to do any recording on my end...

Dirk Griffin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are some things happening on line....
The show itself with vendors was cancelled 4-5 months ago due to covid.

OP
OP
Reef and Dive

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing lectures today! I really loved to learn plenty of new stuff about clowns and nems: there might be at least 37 clown species, and some perculas are so distant among themselves and closest to some ocellaris. Many are not yet recognized as a different species.

So interesting to know that clown resistance to nem sting involves a lot more than we know, including bacteria colonizing and nem recognizing clowns are self and not activating their stinging apparatus.

Nice info: clown-nem symbiosis developed at least 3 simultaneous / separate times in evolution and did not appear from the same original ancestors.

It was also conforting to know Dr Sanjay has been through most of the terrible problems we often face...

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will someone please, for the love of all that is reefing ask five or six MACNA attendees how they moved their reef there without having to show up 30 days early for cycling

what is the magic

asking for all forum cyclers in the universe

this is the one place on the planet allowed to follow different cycling rules, get the inside details Ill put it on wikipedialeaks
There is no magic. They mostly use cycled rock/filter media, do water changes and the tanks are only set up for 5 days

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to draw that type of input yes

and to add

they’d run for five hundred days if asked/ nobody trusts fifty grand in corals to a weak skip cycle. Five days happens to be convention time. Another way we can tell is that on last day the systems aren’t pre crashing

Last edited:

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hoping to draw that type of input yes

and to add

they’d run for five hundred days if asked/ nobody trusts fifty grand in corals to a weak skip cycle

If they ran for 500 days they would do something differently. I think you are trying to compare two things that have really different goals and really different methods

Edited to add - at some shows, vendors have real problems when they haven't planned to deal with water quality issues. You would be suprised as to how often that happens.

Last edited:

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edited to add - at some shows, vendors have real problems when they haven't planned to deal with water quality issues. You would be suprised as to how often that happens.
Unfortunately yes, some vendors are not prepared and have problems with their livestock. It just gets dealt with behind the scenes while the show floor is closed so most people don't know it is happening. But the majority of show tanks do just fine, because nobody wants to risk potentially thousands of dollars worth of livestock. Between pre-cycled media and massive water changes every night they do ok.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we don’t have to do anything different to a skipped or speed dry rock cycle, done is done.
bottle bac dosed tanks can endure a full water change and still pass nitrification testing in about five days total, Dr Reefs test thread. Up to that point, bac in suspension handle work

a dry rock start that does nothing different for a few hundred days.

skipping or shortening a cycle has the same basic nh3 control as waiting 80 days for a cycle.

forums are taught different cycling rules and it keeps them dependent on dosers $ and purchases and never making any planned start date. Where the money flows in conventions they use reliable more affordable science and they never, ever, ever miss a start date and they're trusting fifty grand in their finest frags to a rock solid cycle in place.

forum allowed start dates are a minimum two weeks... someone should do a review of that practice and see if it aligns with truth in filtration

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t wait for an updated macna talk that reviews new proofs that reef cycles don’t stall, nitrite has no bearing in a cycle at any point, reef tank water is chock full of nitrifiers (proof threads avail, cycles dry tank in 20 days only connected to a running reef, unhooks, passes nitrification) + when we should buy bottle bac and when we ****shouldn’t****

we should be skeptical of the old cycling rules, since they dont apply top down

perfect control of cycling runs this industry, what keeps it from being transmitted as a viable practice to us is fully valid to ask

nearly every forum poster on the internet would agree with Thales, which is why the subject is perfect for review using seneye/someone/anyone.

Last edited:

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No offense, but @brandon429 why do you feel the need to turn every single thread on the forum into one of your bacteria/sand debates? You already have enough threads fully dedicated to it. You seem to have some sort of chip on your shoulder about this issue

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back