Macro Video Tips & Help - Aquarium

ContraDL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I am making videos of my aquascapes using Fuji XT-4 and XF 16-80 lens that came with the camera. I am an amateur photographer, but I am making a lot of research and am constantly trying to improve.

I want to shoot smaller fishes up-close and am making my strides towards macro videography. I am interested in your suggestions, specifically about following questions (base the answers for video, not photo):
- If you do film Macro in aquariums, is glass reflection an issue for you and how do you deal with it?
- I am looking at Fujifilm XF 80mm f/2.8 OIS Macro as my lens of choice, any experience with it?
- Right now, I was shooting on tripod, focusing on selected area and waiting for fish to arrive. Then trying to focus and that was it. I couldn't get too close to the subject due to the lens limitations on XF 16-80. Will my Macro lens improve that?
- What do you do about lighting? Do you add additional light on top of the aquarium when you shoot video? (Adding light towards aquarium is probably no-go, since reflection).
- What is the aperture you are using when filming fish, what is shutter speed? Do you get enough light with aquarium light and let's say f/8 and 120 ss?

Any other advice?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Show us what you are doing currently and let other people make suggestions.:cool:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 118 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.5%
Back