Made a full stocking list, any criticisms?(Mixed reef)

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting addicted to making order lists for myself by adhering to Blue Zoo's free shipping policy. Currently, I'm thinking of getting two orders from them to stock my tank(get the animals, especially the horseshoe settled in before anything new comes in):

2 Threadfin Cardinals($53.98)
1 baby horseshoe crab($26.99)
1 Rainford's goby($34.99)
1 Black - barred squirrelfish(when they come in stock)($29.99)
totals $145.95

1 blue - jawed trigger($89.99)
1 red - lined wrasse($39.99)
1 crimson firefish($19.99)
totals $149.97
Currently, I have a Dascyllus melanurus damsel that had not been aggressive to any previous fish, two hermits that I'm convinced is immortal, and some corals. Will this be fine?
yes, I know the horseshoe will stomp over any corals on the ground, and yes, the trigger will go after the hermits. I have faith in my hermits and I don't give a flying fish about my corals on the ground.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can this be considered overstocking? Looking back I feel like there are just a tad too many fish in here. What should I remove?

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never said anything about the tank. How big is it? How long has it been running? What equipment do you have?
oh shoot right, this isn't the other thread. 3 year old 80 gal mixed reef, it looks like this. Got some corals now that wasn't there when I took this photo but that's it.
1694828035285.png

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I introduce the trigger last or first? I heard that it is shy, and I don't want it to be overstressed when it arrives. Both orders would probably be one or two weeks apart.

OP
OP
A

Alpha_and_Gec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I would pass on the trigger and horseshoe crab.....both will outgrow that sized tank.
Planning to eat the horseshoe crab after it matures.
(not gonna lie, was gonna get a slipper lobster, but I can't find any anywhere and blue zoo isn't restocking them yet)

For the trigger... as far as I can tell, the most common max size measured is around 8 - 9 inches? That sounds like a reasonable size for 80gal to me. The FishBase maximum is 30cm but I doubt it will live long enough to reach that size in captivity unless it is consistently power fed. I do think it's the second best "water dog" fish to keep after a true shark though, maybe it can stay in there for a few years until I head to university? There are not many reef shops out here and I can think of a fair few reefers that can and would probably keep a bluejaw.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back