Mag. Problem

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the Red Sea mag test kit I used 1.0 ml and the magnesium didn't show up.
image.jpg

So does that mean the mag is to high or there is not any?

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could keep adding drops until it turns blue; I think one drop is 10ppm. If it never turns blue no matter how much you add you have a bad kit. If you're not using a mag additive it's surprising that your level would be that high.

Mark...

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dosed two weeks ago because I thought that if I used the whole 1ml then it was low. Have not sen e

The more drops you add the higher the mag. Sounds like you added mg when you didn't need to and now its really high, higher than where 1 ml takes you which I believe is 1600.

Mark...

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I know can I do a water change will that help

It would lower the mg, but how is the tank right now? If everything is looking ok, I wouldn't panic. Maybe increase your water changes but don't over do it. I don't think high mg is a major problem, and it ill kill off any aptasia you might have as a bonus.

gojk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would lower the mg, but how is the tank right now? If everything is looking ok, I wouldn't panic. Maybe increase your water changes but don't over do it. I don't think high mg is a major problem, and it ill kill off any aptasia you might have as a bonus.

High mag doesn't kill aiptasia. If You increase your mag with Kent tech-m it has shown to kill bryopsis.

nazzman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea test kit for mag is tricky make sure u follow instructions exactly especially the first 5 drops must be swirled around 15 seconds between every drop I still find there test kit to read high compared to other tests I hqve used on same sample water

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly your mag is just higher then the drops you have already added.

If what you added is already high enough and you testes twice, I would just do nothing. It will come down on its own.

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a couple above stated. Mag that is a little high won't hurt anything. Too high and your snails will be temporarily paralyzed making them dinner for the hermits though. lol Take a sample to someone to test for you to double check your kit also.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright heres the new test on7-22
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
cal.-475
mag-.70=1400ppm
alk-.70=9.8dkh
temp-80
ph- 8.1 its light purple.

every coral i have in my tank is doing fine to me. I have a Duncan,torch, xenia, one zoa, tube worm,green star pol, 4head candy cane.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 28 35.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back