Magdelan: ookin puh nub

magdelan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey kids!!! I just heard about the wonderful world of fun that some have found here in post RC land. Looks like a cool forum.

For those who don't know me, my name is Mike and I'm an alcoholic. Well, not really, but seriously... I am. I have a 300 gallon system with a 180g display on the first floor and a 120g sump and 30g refugium in the basement. I run 3x250mh 14k Hamilton moguls supplimented by 2x165 URI VHO's.

I have been in the hobby for about 5 years. My first tank was a 10g nano that failed miserably. My second tank was a 30g that did fairly well with LPS and softies. I am now attempting this 180 as a mixed reef dominated with SPS. I began my current tank on 5/14/08 and so far so good. I have seen a good amount of growth and my parameters are all spot on.

Here are some pictures of my 180.

IMG_3296.jpg

MikesPictures1079.jpg

MikesPictures1077.jpg

I look forward to meeting everyone here!!!

-Yaeger

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome and gorgeous tank!!

Jedi

Jedi on the Run
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Mike gald you found us.. Ill send ya that info or since your here just PM Cully.

Seems like a pretty cool place, so far...

Jedi

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great! your tank has really come along way, since the first post on your old build thread!

is that a "todd" green torch i see in the bottom pic?

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome! Very nice tank. What did you use to hold the rocks in place? I'm going to re-do my rock work and I really like the way you did yours.

OP
OP
magdelan

magdelan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Very nice tank. What did you use to hold the rocks in place? I'm going to re-do my rock work and I really like the way you did yours.

Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the nice comments!! Seafansar, I don't have anything but gravity holding my rocks in place. They lay on the glass and I have them wedged in to one another pretty well!!

Yes, that is a Todd's Toarch.

zanclus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Mike and Welcome. It is nice to be part of the reefing community again.

Cully

Big Daddy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gangs all here! Yaeger, check out the URS forum on this site. We're consolidating and regrouping. I'm really glad you made it over bud. Tanks comin in nicely.

GOULET!

seafansar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome and all of the nice comments!! Seafansar, I don't have anything but gravity holding my rocks in place. They lay on the glass and I have them wedged in to one another pretty well!!

Well you are good at balancing rocks! I've always been afraid the rocks would fall if I tried something like that and didn't attach them together.

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will be totally honest, my rockwork was inspired by magdelan's 180. i even have a branch arch and everything :):):).

you ever resolve the sandbed cleaning issues?

OP
OP
magdelan

magdelan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you are good at balancing rocks! I've always been afraid the rocks would fall if I tried something like that and didn't attach them together.

I assume that you are refering to the arch on the left side of the tank. This arch came about by an acident. Where the bottom of the right side of the arch comes to an end, there is a hole in the baserock that it sits on. The tonga branch fit into that hole like they were made for each other (to put it nicely). Then the left side of the arch folds hands at the top interlocking the two together. I was quite lucky to stumble upon this!!

Cully!!! I'm glad to be here. URS lost some good people. I'll check out the forum that you mentioned

jjjo Thanks man!! That's quite a compliment! I think that my sand bed issue was due to adding MH's to my refugium. I syphoned out the cyano and it hasn't reappeared.

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 95 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 115 50.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.1%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.5%
Back