Majority of Fish Died Overnight

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can see the color difference on the Achilles, three weeks ago he had spots of ich. Two days ago it changed to more of a dusty white powdered on the body so it literally changed the color. I think velvet. The flame angel is also much more pale than usual.
Unfortunately, seeing the fish out of water makes it extremely difficult. On some fish I'm assuming there are sand grains?

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another pic of the Achilles now in freshwater. I want to see if there are flukes.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, seeing the fish out of water makes it extremely difficult. On some fish I'm assuming there are sand grains?
The whole coloring on the Achilles changed. It’s not a black anymore it’s a light grey and the skin seems to be peeling off and has white spots all over as well.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - can you let everyone know what's left in the tank? i.e. which fish/inverts? The one concerning thing is the dead shrimp - which suggests something else - and many other inverts (like snails, crabs, etc) may not show symptoms with low O2, etc etc. If there was a bacterial bloom you would see extremely cloudy water - I'm not sure what else would cause a low O2 - if your flow has been stable. Again - can you do an updated set of parameters?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The whole coloring on the Achilles changed. It’s not a black anymore it’s a light grey and the skin seems to be peeling off and has white spots all over as well.
Yes - that one was in the tank, right? (At the point it looked dead to me - but I know you said it did move some)

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - can you let everyone know what's left in the tank? i.e. which fish/inverts? The one concerning thing is the dead shrimp - which suggests something else - and many other inverts (like snails, crabs, etc) may not show symptoms with low O2, etc etc. If there was a bacterial bloom you would see extremely cloudy water - I'm not sure what else would cause a low O2 - if your flow has been stable. Again - can you do an updated set of parameters?
My parameters are as follows: 1.026 , 0 ammonia salifert test, 0 nitrates Hannah.

I’m going to LFS to test all parameters again with a different checker to verify.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - after death flukes often nearly immediately leave the host. Second - you may not see all types of flukes - and the spots on the tang are not flukes (the larger white spots)

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp are dead. All snails and hermit crabs are fine. My banded snake eel, earmuff wrasse, leopard wrasse, hippo tang, hawkfish, clownfish, firefish are fine.

Leopard wrasse was on its side barely breathing this morning but I added an airstone and now he’s doing great.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As @Jay Hemdal suggested - there is a lot to unpack here. It would be really helpful if you could re-type the answers to the questions in the link in my signature - and we can kind of 'start over' - quickly - because time is of the essence for your fish, etc

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My cleaner shrimp and fire shrimp are dead. All snails and hermit crabs are fine. My banded snake eel, earmuff wrasse, leopard wrasse, hippo tang, hawkfish, clownfish, firefish are fine.

Leopard wrasse was on its side barely breathing this morning but I added an airstone and now he’s doing great.
Thanks for that !!!! how big is your tank?

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding QT tank I have a couple questions. I have a 90 gallon and a 15 gallon. I plan on adding my fish to the 90 gallon but it’s not set up. Can I do an insta cycle and move them all over and begin treatment asap? Also should what should I put in the tank? I have extra sand to use plus I’m wondering what I should use to provide them hiding spots.

I don’t want to risk my eel with copper so I plan on putting him in a 15 gallon that is 1 ft wide. Is that an issue considering that the eel is a foot and a half?

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Jay Hemdal suggested - there is a lot to unpack here. It would be really helpful if you could re-type the answers to the questions in the link in my signature - and we can kind of 'start over' - quickly - because time is of the essence for your fish, etc
What would you like to know?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regarding QT tank I have a couple questions. I have a 90 gallon and a 15 gallon. I plan on adding my fish to the 90 gallon but it’s not set up. Can I do an insta cycle and move them all over and begin treatment asap? Also should what should I put in the tank? I have extra sand to use plus I’m wondering what I should use to provide them hiding spots.

I don’t want to risk my eel with copper so I plan on putting him in a 15 gallon that is 1 ft wide. Is that an issue considering that the eel is a foot and a half?
I think thats too small a tank for the eel - but they also tend to not need much room. If thats all you have thats all you have.

You can use strict ammonia testing (Seachem alert - or pick your test) and water changes - You can use a Fritz/type bacteria - with a sponge filter for a cycle (again - watching ammonia carefully) - so yes you can do an 'insta cycle' - keeping the copper level stable when / if you need to change water. PVC tubing is often used for hiding places. There should be a sticky above - how to set up a QT tank!! Hope this helps

OP
OP
EliMelly

EliMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok to sum up everything that has happened. I have a 200 gallon tank that is 6 ft by 2 by 2. I just moved my fish about a month ago into this tank from my original 90 gallon.

I had ich in my 90 about a year ago that “went away” with management.

I added an Achilles three weeks ago who immediately got ich. I’ve tried polyp lab, have a UV, as well as dosed prazi twice from the time he’s been sick.

Last night I looked at the tank and saw that the Achilles didn’t really have spots anymore and it was more of a discoloration. He was more grey looking and had what I would call patch like areas instead of little dots. He was also swimming near the powder head. All the other fish were breathing very quickly and there seemed to be not much of an appetite. The Achilles did eat a bit though.

In the morning I found the Achilles, flame angel, Wantanabe angel, and two of my shrimp dead.

The leopard wrasse and yellow tang were both on their side in horrible shape.

I added an airstone came home from work and the leopard is doing great and the yellow tang is still in horrible shape. The rest of the fish seem fine.

My eel seems unaffected as well, plus the hermit crabs and snails.

I plan on removing all the fish and adding them to my old 90 gallon once I set it up tonight to begin a QT and want to leave my main display fallow.

Please let me know the best route to proceed with for QT and what to take into account.

I also had black spots on the Achilles which disappeared a week ago after treatment with prazi.

I suspect that it was something to do with oxygen and velvet.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok to sum up everything that has happened. I have a 200 gallon tank that is 6 ft by 2 by 2. I just moved my fish about a month ago into this tank from my original 90 gallon.

I had ich in my 90 about a year ago that “went away” with management.

I added an Achilles three weeks ago who immediately got ich. I’ve tried polyp lab, have a UV, as well as dosed prazi twice from the time he’s been sick.
FYI - It is unclear how 'effective' Polyplab is. What was the time between dosing (prazipro)
Last night I looked at the tank and saw that the Achilles didn’t really have spots anymore and it was more of a discoloration. He was more grey looking and had what I would call patch like areas instead of little dots. He was also swimming near the powder head. All the other fish were breathing very quickly and there seemed to be not much of an appetite. The Achilles did eat a bit though.
Losing the spots is typical with Ich and a thick mucus as well as mucus cones can develop. Quick breathing suggest a different issue than ich - though not impossible.
In the morning I found the Achilles, flame angel, Wantanabe angel, and two of my shrimp dead.
So. it could be that the Achilles died leading to bacterial / ammonia issue - which also killed the inverts. If your shrimp were ok - it would much more strongly suggest a disease IMHO
The leopard wrasse and yellow tang were both on their side in horrible shape.

I added an airstone came home from work and the leopard is doing great and the yellow tang is still in horrible shape. The rest of the fish seem fine.
So - diseases do not necessarily cause 100% mortality. And the leopard may just be more resistant>
My eel seems unaffected as well, plus the hermit crabs and snails.
Great - Snails and crabs (which may be accustomed to living in tide pools, etc) - may be less affected by ammonia/oxygen, etc
I plan on removing all the fish and adding them to my old 90 gallon once I set it up tonight to begin a QT and want to leave my main display fallow.
Please let me know the best route to proceed with for QT and what to take into account.

I also had black spots on the Achilles which disappeared a week ago after treatment with prazi.

I suspect that it was something to do with oxygen and velvet.
I think I wrote above - that using the protocol at the top of the thread would be your best route. Not sure you have to repeat prazipro. Additionally if velvet - I would suggest immediate treatment (Since I believe you said all had rapid breathing)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back