Male bluestar leopard going after new yellow tail tamarian

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mrx where did you get all your tamarins? I was on the hunt for a long time a year or two ago but could never find any. Pretty much gave up. I have a soon to be open quarantine and a spot in another tank now I'd love to fill with a red tail.

Local here in South Florida. ...where are you located ....I have access to them regularly. .....problem is if your not familiar with the reds or whites I would recomend cutting your teeth on the yellows. ....if your determined, disiplined, and willing to put in the time they make an exquisite addition for sure

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Local here in South Florida. ...where are you located ....I have access to them regularly. .....problem is if your not familiar with the reds or whites I would recomend cutting your teeth on the yellows. ....if your determined, disiplined, and willing to put in the time they make an exquisite addition for sure
I'm pretty seasoned with leopards. Pretty much the same game I imagine. Many feedings, many foods. Many flukes and worms.

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually not exactly on all these .....number of feedings are only dictated by other tank mates...types of foods being offered.... and consistency in feedings......many flukes and worms this is a definite area for concern but not a mandated medicated state it should be addressed with quarantine and observation then proper treatments if treatments are not warranted they should not be given just to be giving them that's like taking antibiotics every day just to say we want to take them and prevent a cold.

Last edited:

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but not a mandated medicated state it should be addressed with quarantine and observation then proper treatments if treatments are not warranted they should not be given just to be giving them that's like taking antibiotics every day just to say we want to take them and prevent a cold.
Except it's kinda hard to see inside a fish on a good day.
Prazi should always be used in QT with them.

You're not far off Dave; notch up the difficulty a bit and expect to feed many times a day.

Mrx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Except it's kinda hard to see inside a fish on a good day.
Prazi should always be used in QT with them.

I think you answered this question better than I you can not see inside them and the need to med is just being assumed. ... don't get me wrong I'm not saying that it's not a good practice just certainly not warranted on every wrasse....many species are poor quality shippers....others do not have the disiplined regiment needed to qt a wrasse properly and more often than not only add to the already low long term survival rates with certain species

Last edited:

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you answered this question better than I you can not see inside them and the need to med is just being assumed. ... don't get me wrong I'm not saying that it's not a good practice just certainly not warranted on every wrasse....many species are poor quality shippers....others do not have the disiplined regiment needed to qt a wrasse properly and more often than not only add to the already low long term survival rates with certain species
Good and valid points. As I said my personal experience is more with leopards but I have tried many both ways as far as prazi goes, and I have had much better luck giving them a few days to transition to my tank and then hitting them with 2 rounds of prazi. Usually going by observation seems to always go bad for me. Waiting to treat until I see some flashing or stringy poop tends to end in a dead wrasse for me.

Just wondering but what is your QT regimen?

I have a 72g cycled with sand and live rock with tons of pods. I only treat prazi in this tank, after they are settled in and eating well. On a daily basis I feed mysis, live blackworms, and rods or larrys frozen to get them started. Live brine only if I need to as a last resort.

After the prazi and some observation time in that tank, I move to tank transfer method and into display.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back