Mall of America aquarium

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This past weekend I took my boy to the aquarium in the Mall of America. It was pretty cool and my boy was totally enthralled. He got to touch and feed stingrays, play around with critters in a tide pool exhibit, and see some plain cool stuff. Anybody else been there? The cool thing was that I was almost as excited as my 5 year old son. I felt like a big kid. Another funny thing is that as I was telling my wife and son about the animals, I kept drawing small groups of people that thought I worked there. It was amusing and I really didn't mind sharing what I knew. I would definitely go again.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been there too! Cool place, really like the walk thru shark tank! I'll be up there again next week, may have to do a revisit!

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't been there in a few years. I've been thinking about taking my grand daughter there next month.

PurpleTreeSpiders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This would be the only reason I would venture to that place. Friend recently told me how awesome it is. Might have to take the boys this fall when outside gets blah. Though, honestly, I think my husband and I would be more excited about it We are near Chicago ourselves.

OP
OP
Scottsquatch

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that WAS the only reason I went there. I HATE crowds of milling people ever since Iraq. Plus, I hate shopping. I like to get in and get out.

Since your near Chicago, have you been to the Shedd aquarium? I grew up just north of the WI state line and went to the Shedd 3 or 4 times. It's awesome!

PurpleTreeSpiders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Malls and crowds of people aimlessly maneuvering around are not fun. I am a big fan of buying stuff online.

I've been to the Shedd several times. Probably would go more if parking in Chicago wasn't so awful. We live about 45 minutes out. They do some really great temporary exhibits sometimes too.

How old is your boy?

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was there the 19th I believe it was. Took my 2 year old and wife.. He was amazed. We had a blast. Then we went up north to a fish store and she bought me my 75 I'm currently building. If anyone goes the the Minneapolis and looking for a cheap tank locate the forest lake pet shop... go there I got my marineland 75 for 78$..... all his tanks are great priced. Just a heads up to the community out here ;)

Freakyyfort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go to the aquarium buy tickets online. Get a group of 10 and it's cheaper.. which is why there are so many ppl. Buying for a group is cheaper so everyone gets 20 or so and goes at the same time and it becomes a cluster.......... really didn't like that either. Being 2 my son didn't care about the crowd as we did..

PurpleTreeSpiders

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Mine are 3&4. They are more curious about the maintenance and feeding than the critters themselves. : ) They would love the sharks I think.

OP
OP
Scottsquatch

Scottsquatch

Third times a charm?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purple spider, my boy is 5. He has been enamored with fish since he could pull himself up into the standing position on my living room display tank. He even has his own 5 gallon in his room now with some freshwater community fish. Of course I have to "help" him take care of it though. LOL

Freakyfort, Forest lake pets is a hidden gem! I live about an hour and 45 minutes north of there, but I make it a point to get there at least 4 or 5 times a year. I have purchased the majority of my tanks there as well. Killer deals!

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do the same thing here at the Tennessee aquarium. unfortunately it is predominately freshwater, they only have 1 mismanaged coral tank (it is, or was, the largest freshwater aquarium at some point). I really liked the Honolulu aquarium when I was stationed there, it was like a hobbyist put together a ton of large coral tanks. Unfortunately, being all coral tanks, it didn't have the 'size' of most public aquaria so to the average person it looked lackluster.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back