Mantis shrimp

valley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I just found a mantis shrimp in my new tank that came from live ocean rock. With what I’m seeing online I’m not sure if this is a good thing. It’s pretty small; about the same size as a large amano shrimp. It’s also constantly making a clicking noise; I’m not sure if it’s just punching rocks or punching glass but it’s not too loud. My main concerns here are if it can break aquarium glass and if I can stock my tank with fish and coral. Prior to adding the rock to my tank I saw many crabs and a pistol shrimp. I’m not sure if that pistol shrimp is still alive but I have found two dead crabs already. I’ve also seen a sponge crab that is frequently wandering about almost every day at night. There are lots of starfish that are alive although I’m not sure if a mantis shrimp would eat starfish. There is no LFS near me and so I can’t get rid of the mantis shrimp.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Don't worry about it hitting the glass, it's not doing it and the odds of it happening are very very small. Even then, from what I've read unless it's a large peacock mantis it's not going to damage the glass. I have one in a very thin glass 7.5g and I'm not concerned at all.

The snapping you hear is it attacking a snail or hermit crab. You can stock your tank as you like, it won't attack fish or bother your coral. It will definitely go after snails, crabs, and shrimp tho. I love mine, and I got it specifically for this tank.

The mantis won't eat starfish from what I know. But it will readily learn how to take frozen foods from a tube. I think it's a great hitchhiker, and I paid for mine lol. Just watch for where it will make it's burrows in the sand under the rocks, and keep your hands away from there when you're working in the tank.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the clicking is probably it digging borrows. I would definitely remove it because it will be dangerous for most inverts and small fish.

You can try a trap but the best way is to just pull out a piece of rock that you know it’s in and then just wait for it to come out.

Also don’t worry it won’t break your glass.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back