MarvinsReef 90g Clownfish & Anemone Tank...

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very "Sonny"esk. ;)

Marv, if there is ANY nuisance algae on that rock, now is the time to SCRUB it off. Use a fresh plastic scrub brush, with bristles. Use a 5 gallon bucket of tank water or 2 to rinse before you put the rock back in the tank too. (First bucket as a dirty rinse, next bucket as a "cleaner" rinse, then discard both when done.) I didn't look at the rock that came with the set up, so I don't know what it looks like.

cbort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great! The openess of the rockwork is what helps ya not to have to upgrade as quickly! Keep the pics coming!

I-K@ndY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yay Pics are up!.. looks good so far man ..

Neon Reef

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Marv, congrats!
The island on the right side looks great, the island on the left side can use some work. lol. Can you please post a picture of the return, I'm curious to see how the tank is plumbed. thanks

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks very "Sonny"esk. ;)

Marv, if there is ANY nuisance algae on that rock, now is the time to SCRUB it off. Use a fresh plastic scrub brush, with bristles. Use a 5 gallon bucket of tank water or 2 to rinse before you put the rock back in the tank too. (First bucket as a dirty rinse, next bucket as a "cleaner" rinse, then discard both when done.) I didn't look at the rock that came with the set up, so I don't know what it looks like.
cool.. Thanks Mike...

last night, it took me about an hour to get rid of all the bubble algae I can see... I'd like to think that I got most of it if not all... the only ones I probably didn't see are the ones in the deep crevices on the rocks... overall, the rock was nice... definitely bigger pieces that what I'm used to but I had to make it work somehow... ;)

I just checked the tank and turned the actinics on again... it's looking nice!!! yay!!! :)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great! The openess of the rockwork is what helps ya not to have to upgrade as quickly! Keep the pics coming!
I plan to go really slow, which means getting pieces that are smaller so I can watch them grow at least 2-3 years... I'm just really looking forward on the journey... I'll try to take as many pics as I can and update it every week if time permits... if you've followed my other thread, you know I'm not shy at taking pics... LoLz... :)

thanks for stopping by...

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Marv, congrats!
The island on the right side looks great, the island on the left side can use some work. lol. Can you please post a picture of the return, I'm curious to see how the tank is plumbed. thanks
yeah, I agree with you on the left island... I couldn't get it quite right... but the right island, it was good on the first try... ;) I'm hoping I can make it work when I move the livestock on the 28g... there's a few bigger LR in there that should fit in nicely in the left island... :)

the return was designed by Junior and Poseidon... I'll try to get a pic of the back but it's kinda tight in there coz it's right by the existing 28g... I'll try though.... :)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the hood and stand. What are they made out of/covered with?
Thanks... believe it or not... the stand is actually a metal stand... the original owner covered the whole thing with wood and on top of the wood put on laminate... looks pretty cool and I'd like to think it matches our floor in the basement... :)

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the easiest return ever! The built in overflow uses 2 1.5" drains, and the return is just 3/4" a couple of 45's to make it out and up, a ballvalve for flow control if needed, and then 3 90's to go up and over the tank. We also drilled a anti siphon hole about 1/2" below the water line. We do need to add a union at the pump still, but the local home depot didn't have a 3/4" slip union at the time.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo hooo!!!

How about that controller Marv, did you get that hooked up?
just waiting for Junior... LoLz... I haven't really had anytime to read up on it... I'm sure Junior will give me a crash course on it once he gets the time to stop by... I think he said sometime this week... we have a lot of work to do still but we have a few weeks anyway so no biggie... :D

btw, the skimmer is working fine now... it's starting to pull some nasty stuff... kinda excited about it since this is the first time that I have a skimmer that does something... LoLz... it's a good test run for the future Alpha 200 cone... man, I'm proud of myself coz I actually was able to play with the skimmer myself and make it work... I read up a lot yesterday but I do still need to order the pinwheel for the reliability of starting up after turning it off... :)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Marv!!! I thought you might be upgrading, but this is AWESOME! Is that Mikes old tank?! :tongue:
yeah, I agree with you on the left island... I couldn't get it quite right...
Dude don't worry at all... aquascape means very little assuming you have the "outline/skyline" situated... place corals accordingly and they'll take care of the rest :D

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats Marv!!! I thought you might be upgrading, but this is AWESOME! Is that Mikes old tank?! :tongue:

Dude don't worry at all... aquascape means very little assuming you have the "outline/skyline" situated... place corals accordingly and they'll take care of the rest :D
yup... it was Mike's tank... I'd like to think it was a good buy... ;)
true, true... z's and p's are tolerable in almost any aquascaping... they'll figure out how to get light... LoLz... at least it's not too complicated with the look I'm trying to accomplish... as long as I see sand on all sides, I'll be happy... I just want my fairy wrasses to enjoy swimming around... :) :) :)

plans are Harem of HI Flame wrasses (5 females / 1 male)... I already have a pair so I just need to add the females... probably a pair of Lineatus, a pair of Rhomboid, Male Cebu Pylei, and Male Hooded... let's just say it'll take time to get some fishes... I will need to save up... LoLz... I told myself, if I ever upgrade to a bigger tank, I'll have those wrasses for sure... :D :) :D

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome Marv! That is a good skimmer, they pull all kinds of nasties for sure. The mesh wheel is just the most reliable option.

There are all kinds of options for pinwheels though. That Alpha 200 will be a big upgrade, and stink upgrade too! ;)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back