Mass acro and cerith die off overnight!!

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Afternoon everyone! So here’s the deal. Came home from work yesterday and my tank looked a bit cloudy. Zoas and acans closed tight. Acros looked rough, pale and one or two probably on the way out. Found that one of my return pumps in the back of my AIO had failed. Assumed that was the culprit. Switched out both return to my spares and let em rip. Thinking that circulation is restored things will either look better or look worse. Well, things look worse. Had to run to work this morning and when I got home about lunch the tank is still a bit cloudy and all of the acros are in full bleach. I also notice that all my ceriths are dead. But my conchs, nerites and trochus are still kicking.

Tests
Alk 7.2
Cal 450
Mag 1290
Phos 0.175
Nitrate 10
Ph 8.15 started running low the night before everything went south. Down to 7.8
Temp- 81 a bit high for the tank.

Removed all the ceriths and placed in my QT to verify if they were dead and this was an ammonia issue from mass die off. Any other ideas. Did a 10 gallon WC when I got home from work and working up another 10 gallon.
Tank is roughly 47 gallon AIo.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Zoas are still pretty much closed but a few are opening. I’m figuring the acros are a total loss.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a tank crash, high ammonia and low O2 are the two dangerous conditions to be most concerned with.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see anything that jumps out. It's possible with the return pump down, the damage was already done. Maybe something died and released some toxins and started a chain reaction. How did the pump fail? I know some submersible pumps back in the day could leak oil and such if they fried. At this point all you can do is keep up the water changes, monitor water quality and I would run carbon. And I would be doing bigger water changes if you can.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one or two of the remaining acros RTN. Pump stopped running and I think was throwing stray voltage. The other return and wave pumps remained on so I’m thinking O2 was an issue. After I put replacement pumps and did a WC the fish perked up, so that leads me to believe O2 may have been the culprit. Was going to do another WC last night but of course sick wife and kids got in the way. I think if I can get away with just the acros taking the hit I’ll call it a win. I didn’t even think to add some carbon! I’ll do that as soon as I get home today because water is looking cloudy this morning.

Rusty_L_Shackleford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one or two of the remaining acros RTN. Pump stopped running and I think was throwing stray voltage. The other return and wave pumps remained on so I’m thinking O2 was an issue. After I put replacement pumps and did a WC the fish perked up, so that leads me to believe O2 may have been the culprit. Was going to do another WC last night but of course sick wife and kids got in the way. I think if I can get away with just the acros taking the hit I’ll call it a win. I didn’t even think to add some carbon! I’ll do that as soon as I get home today because water is looking cloudy this morning.
Sorry for your losses, tank crashes really stuck. My main concern at this point would be keeping things from getting worse. If the other pumps were still on that leads me to believe it might not be an o2 issue, stuff perking up after a water change sounds like might be something in the water. But I would throw in an airstone to be sure, a little extra gas exchange couldn't hurt. When you're able to I would do the biggest water change you can.

OP
OP
OutColdCRNA

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another WC in and added some carbon. Zoas still look mad but starting to open. Same for the LPS. Think the only SPS that may pull are some digitata and potentially one acro. Of course it’s the ugly one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%

Back