Matt’s Mind: Daily Reefing Thoughts!

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey Reefers!
In this thread I’ll offer my daily thoughts and questions on reefing. Really a musing with myself seeking your thoughts as well.

So to start, thinking back to when you first got into reefing…

If reefing were easy, would you still have a reef tank?

I do enjoy a challenge, there’s just something very satisfying when I overcome a reefing obstacle. But I also enjoy the company of marine animals. So for me, the challenge alone doesn’t define my reefing.

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey Reefers!
In this thread I’ll offer my daily thoughts and questions on reefing. Really a musing with myself seeking your thoughts as well.

So to start, thinking back to when you first got into reefing…

If reefing were easy, would you still have a reef tank?

I do enjoy a challenge, there’s just something very satisfying when I overcome a reefing obstacle. But I also enjoy the company of marine animals. So for me, the challenge alone doesn’t define my reefing.
I would have a tank regardless of the difficulty. I think it is cool turning this box into a mini habitat of the ocean.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
I would have a tank regardless of the difficulty. I think it is cool turning this box into a mini habitat of the ocean.
Same here! I think most of us are that way, but I can also see where it could get boring if challenges didn’t come up. That could lead to a loss of interest after a couple months or years. Luckily, I think there are plenty of things that happen to keep us on our toes most of the time.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Same here! I think most of us are that way, but I can also see where it could get boring if challenges didn’t come up. That could lead to a loss of interest after a couple months or years. Luckily, I think there are plenty of things that happen to keep us on our toes most of the time.
Ha, considering one day the tank is fine, next day you are doing frantic test on your tank due to some chemical imbalance

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Ha, considering one day the tank is fine, next day you are doing frantic test on your tank due to some chemical imbalance
Lol! Yup! Standing tall one day, tail between the legs the next! All part of the reefing rollercoaster. I have a pretty good grasp on things with my tanks, but the animals in them always make sure my hat fits right! :grinning-squinting-face:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 43 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back