OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just moved into a new house across town. So I had to move my 150g dt. I setup a temporary 55g to house my corals and fish until I could get the dt setup again. There are some changes I want to make to the dt tank while I have it down. And so it begins... Breaking down the tank and moving the corals to a temporary tank.

The 55g temporary tank housing my corals and the fish

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I redid all the plumbing. I figured while it was down I might as well do it right.
I put a "t" with a plug in it in case the reeflo dart goes down and I need to tie in a temporary pump. Everything is schedule 40 pvc

I moved the suction line around to the back so I could have some extra room for the ato reservoir and other equipment on the side of the sump.

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are not going so well with the livestock. I went out of town and am working nights right now. I guess while I was gone the switch for the temporary tank got switched off. So a couple of days with no flow, cleaning, or movement. Needless to say the corals did not like it at all. I have lost a palmers milli, strawberry shortcake, surf and turf acro, blue polyp digi, garf bonsai, and a few other pieces are showing signs of RTN. I need to frag and save what a can when I get off work in the morning. So far the only fish lost in the move was my mandarin dragonet, he decided to go carpet surfing. I hope I don't lose any more pieces. This is a total bummer and not looking forward to the cost of restocking.

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a tragic occurrence just took place upon moving to a new house: 95% of my corals all died. Here is the grave yard

Heres what it looked like before the move

I lost so many nice pieces. A year and a half down the drain. Its going to be a long road getting it to where it was. If anyone has some nice sps theyre looking to sell, old school and new pieces, let me know. Im in the market to replace a lot of my

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a difference a move makes. I just got back from 5 days in the mountains and this is what my tank looks like now. It looks like a beginning tank.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60x28x24 myself, and hope it looks as good as yours one day. Nice skills. Coming back strong...

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sorry to see your loss of corals :( what do you think caused that? I saw where you had a problem with water movement in the temporary tank but you didn't note that many losses from that problem.

Your new setup looks great - nice scape and survivors look healthy. Hope your road back goes smoothly!

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so sorry to see your loss of corals :( what do you think caused that? I saw where you had a problem with water movement in the temporary tank but you didn't note that many losses from that problem.

Your new setup looks great - nice scape and survivors look healthy. Hope your road back goes smoothly!

All of the losses were from the temporary tank. Some just took a little longer than others to completely melt. There was nothing I could do about it since my main tank wasn't set up yet. I think was a combination of temperature, flow, and water parameters. Because the filter stopped and he fish kept doing their business, I checked the water and there was a good amount of ammonia which also contributed to the corals demise. The main tank is back up and all parameters are in check. I think most of the corals that have been moved into the dt should hold on and be fine now

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My beautiful wife got me an amazing anniversary gift(s). Here is my new melanarus wrasse and blonde naso tang. Pardon the crappy iphone pic

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got around to taking a few pictures. Once I learned my emperor would not eat them, I decided to add a few more euphyllia to my tank. Here they are:
Hammer

Frogspawn

Gold Torch

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Ive been on a torch kick lately, and here is what i picked up this last week:
aquasd purple with yellow tips torch
731 by m_smith28131, on Flickr
aquasd aqua with white tips torch
733 by m_smith28131, on Flickr
reef raft green with purple tips torch
727 by m_smith28131, on Flickr
rainbow torch I got from AOA at Max
729 by m_smith28131, on Flickr

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice. Before the move your tank was looking stunning. Will be looking forward to seeing the tank looking awesome again.

OP
OP
Msmith2813

Msmith2813

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignore the algae, thats what happens when you do no maintenance on the tank for two months
ORA Insignis- its probably one of the brightest corals in the tank
IMG_3593 by Matt Smith, on Flickr

Sapphire Milli- it looks like the growth is finally going to start taking off
IMG_3561 by Matt Smith, on Flickr

MikeC purple rain- it was one of the few pieces to survive the move crash. It didnt grow for months afterwards but its now starting to look good again
IMG_3538 by Matt Smith, on Flickr

Sahin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is looking great! :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back