May have made a huge mistake dosing Aquavitro ions

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About two weeks ago I tested my mag and it was extremely low. As in 1290 compared to 1500 which is where I have maintained it for months. I ran out of magnesion and decided to dose Seachem ions to bring it back up which also supplements Strontium and Boron.

I have been dosing the maximum daily dose 25ml/25g as instructed on the bottle to try and raise it yet I’m somewhat concerned about the amount of Strontium and Boron I’ve added.

The concentrations are as followed
(amounts per 1 g)
Magnesium - 90mg
Strontium - 0.5mg
Boron - 0.3 mg

So with dosing 75ml per day for the past several days, are my Strontium and Boron levels going to be absurdly high?

Also another thing which I’m confused about are my test results. I’ll post them below. Throughout this time I’ve dosed Magnesion until I ran out then ions following that.

1/19
Mg - 1290

1/25
Mg - 1350

2/1
Mg -1320

The tests were all performed on a Salifert test kit which expires in 2025.

With that being said should I discontinue ions or are the added elements safe at such a low level? Additionally, I’m extremely confused about how my Mg went up and somehow depleted by 30PPM

I’m lost. One wc was performed since the initial test with RC salt

With the concerns above what adverse effects would elevated levels of Strontium/Boron result in?

OP
OP
i0nz

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It states that dosing 5ml/25g raises magnesium by 5mg/l so what would 75ml raise my ppm by?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, first I'd say 1290 ppm is perfect, and is actually above the magnesium level of natural seawater at 35 ppt (sg = 1.0264), and IMO, 1500 ppm is quite high.

Second, no, the others are not going to rise much.

If you want a 200 ppm rise in magnesium, then if the composition numbers are accurate, boron will rise by 0.7 ppm and strontium by 1.1 ppm. neither is a significant issue.

As to magnesium depleting by 30 ppm, that's test error, unless calcium also was depleted by 300+ ppm at the same time.

I recommend RMM as a solution to all of your magnesium problems:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back