I loved mine! I had him for a couple years and lost him due to my own fault. :(

14.jpg

markster33139

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice where did you get that bowl from, or is it something you made. Also did the wrasse take to the bowl right away?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine was my favorite as well.

reefermadness55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely one of my favorite fish! he sleeps in the sand bed usually and sometimes knocks over a coral if its tall and in the sand. great at picking out pests, never had him bother any of my crabs, snails, corals, or cleaner shrimp. I've never seen him in a fight, or act territorial, he will let me hand feed him, always comes up to my hand every time its in the tank and even lets me pet him nearly anytime i want, has TONS of personality and great colors! hes a favorite of many guests. one of his favorite activities on the daily, is swimming in circles around the powerhead.
tumblr_n9zwbuZPrW1s1o293o4_1280.jpg

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice where did you get that bowl from, or is it something you made. Also did the wrasse take to the bowl right away?

The Alternative Reef made it for me. I had them do a custom one for me that worked good and then they made a bunch more to sell and I bought another.

Both wrasses I've kept took to the bowl immediately.

mberthiaume3205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love mine, I bought in about 3 months ago and it took about 2 weeks to get eating pellets, it does like to eat snails, but has not bothered my sexy shrimp at all. I bought him because I was having an issue with monti-eating flatworms and it took him all of about 30 mins to clean them out. I was told to feed Spectrum-Red to keep his color bright. One other not is he is very protective of my clams, I have a pygmy angle that liked to nip at them and he does not allow it at all.

echopiece

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in a BB tank. I have a bowl of sand for it to sleep in.

9DDC47FB-2BD1-4BAA-8056-D11E32F80148_zpsjembiymx.jpg

C373B7CA-66BC-4877-A43A-493C6821C80B_zpso74azrak.jpg
That's a great idea, but I imagine the melanarus shoots sand out of the bowl and all over your nice BB tank? I know when I had one, he made a mini sandstorm every night when he went to bed.

N1Husker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for two years and he is a great little fish. He doesn't bother anyone. He darts around the tank and in and out of the live rock structure. He likes to dive into the sand so I don't know if just a bowl of sand would do for him. I also have red head salon fairy wrasse and they get along fine. I have my tank completely cover as they are jumpers.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea, but I imagine the melanarus shoots sand out of the bowl and all over your nice BB tank? I know when I had one, he made a mini sandstorm every night when he went to bed.

Yes he does blow a little sand out. I vacuum it out when I do water changes and add sand as needed. It's a frag tank so it's not that big of a deal to me. I had a smaller yellow wrasse that didn't spill much sand but my larger melanarus needs his bowl refilled about once a month.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to keep in BB tank, any advise?
The only way I would consider it is with some sort of sand box, as has been suggested.

Doing one in a BB without such, could easily result in elevated stress levels for the fish. Sand is their refuge, security blanket, burrow, etc. You can't alter instinct.

PostShawn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my male Melanurus wrasse. Doesn't pick on any of my other fish (two angels, two clowns, 3 cardinals). I have noticed a drop in hermit crab count. And over a period of time I had two peppermint shrimps disappear. I think my shrimp died though due to high salt levels when I got careless. But otherwise my corals so far have been ok from the wrasse. It's one of the most beautiful fish I have seen. He's a bit shy. He comes out but any sense of danger and he's gone and could be hiding for a couple hours if really scared. But eventually he comes back out. I have a tall 70g with a tall rock structure and I'm sure he has some hiding spots in it. I had two other wrasses who have committed suicide (Rosehead wrasse jumped out when I didn't have a good cover and a Flasher wrasse found my 1 inch spot not covered near my filter). But this wrasse I haven't even seen attempt to jump out or even go to the top of the tank much.

bigsby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly! I was obviously kidding when I wrote that, one of my favorite fish for sure! If anyone come across a Richmond's Wrasse I would also recommend, looks simular to a Melanurus Wrasse.

Haha. I was actually wondering if you got a rogue Wrasse.
Awesome fish!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picture of my Richmond's Wrasse

Gorgeous fish MadCity! I have been looking for one for a long time.

I have a Vrolik's which was at least at one time thought to be the same species as the H. melanurus. Never bothers anything including shrimp. The most striking fish in my tank...even more than the Lineatus.

Vrolikswrasse1_zps076bcb07.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back