Metal Halide / LED side by side comparison

RacingTiger03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, You got my attention rob. But there is no cost savings for me.. I'm looking at 150W either way, lol. I'll probably grab up some of those OR fixtures when my halides die, it is rather old and those look as nice as any I've seen, and alot better than some of the other "cheap LED's" for the same price...

Mr. D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OR fixtures are great. Out of all the leds I've tried, they worked the best. My animals just seemed to like them more than anything else. I recently went back to t5, but ORs are a solid purchase at only $145 for the digital right now.

Eric C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice thread, but correct me if I am wrong but, if corals are grown under led lighting they get adjusted to that lighting and it will take a long time for frags to get adjusted to new lighting, would have been really interesting if mother colony was wild grown....still very useful and informative and I thank you for the info, and everything seems to be telling me to switch out my t5's and from this I see I don't have to bust the bank to do it

Reefnjunkie

Acropora Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something similar while building my 400 tank. I had everything in a temp 150 gallon and was fully intent on using MH. I ran into a few threads that had LEDs on some tanks in China or UK, not the US. After a month of research I couldn't find a US fixture I trusted to perform (IMO) so I built a DIY from reefledlights and ran it side by side my Radium 250 for about 4-6 months, I can't honestly remember but 4 months at least.

The DIY did just as well and actually I preferred the look. This prompted me to build DIY and sell all the brand new halide stuff I had purchased for the new tank. Fast forward years, Ocean Revive (who is local to me) is born and I have since replaced all the DIY with his fixtures. For the majority (IMO) going forward, LEDs will be the norm while some old school die hards will stick with T5 and MH.

LED is still relatively new, think of the possibilities, tweaking spectrums to dial in the exact nm you want/need to produce certain colors

I totally agree with the performance of the OR line- best fixture I've used if you don't need/want all that ramping lightning gimmicks :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back