Microbacter Clean: Before Vs After

jmoney7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree with you and believe tanks can develop their own biome to combat algae without the need of bottled bacteria supplements but like a lot of advancements in reefing they just help the process along. It's like the products that help you speed cycle a tank now. None of this stuff is a fix all though and natural tank maturity is still the best overall. I am currently a big proponent of PNS probio which is heterotrophic bacteria and I wish I had before and after pics to show how it improved certain aspects of my tank. I still dose it twice a week now.
Would pns probio help with gha?

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also used this product and after years of hair algae and not being able to grow Coralline algae, this was the one product that cleared it all. It seems to scrub the rock clean. I have now crystal clean rocks allowing Coralline algae to take hold.
I now just add a capful each time a so a water change.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also used this product and after years of hair algae and not being able to grow Coralline algae, this was the one product that cleared it all. It seems to scrub the rock clean. I have now crystal clean rocks allowing Coralline algae to take hold.
I now just add a capful each time a so a water change.

Can you clarify which product you are referring to?

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you clarify which product you are referring to?
Yes apologies, Microbacter Clean. I followed the instructions and it took several weeks before I saw much difference. I had been battling hair algae for years and I mean years. The reason is I brought some old rock taken from another aquarium and it was continually leaching phosphate. I tried Rowaphos but the algae was still there. I pretty much gave in and just got into a routine of removing as much as I could with every water change when I heard the owner of Brightwell being interviewed on one of the reef podcasts. He was talking about this product and another one called Razor. I am not one to fall for a sales pitch but thought hell, I will give it a go (Microbacter Clean, not Razer).
I now dose a small amount with each water change and and very happy with the results.
I am not saying it is a miracle cure for all algae and for every tank as one thing I think we have all learnt over the years is that no two tanks run the same. However for me, this is one of a very few products that I have used that I would recommend for people with hair algae growing on their rocks.
Hope this is useful.

Clownfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add. Why do I believe this works? Well once all the algae went, I stopped dosing it. After a few months, I started to see the patches of algae return. I put this down to my phosphate still leaching from the rocks. I started dosing it again and after several weeks, the algae has once again gone.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes apologies, Microbacter Clean. I followed the instructions and it took several weeks before I saw much difference. I had been battling hair algae for years and I mean years. The reason is I brought some old rock taken from another aquarium and it was continually leaching phosphate. I tried Rowaphos but the algae was still there. I pretty much gave in and just got into a routine of removing as much as I could with every water change when I heard the owner of Brightwell being interviewed on one of the reef podcasts. He was talking about this product and another one called Razor. I am not one to fall for a sales pitch but thought hell, I will give it a go (Microbacter Clean, not Razer).
I now dose a small amount with each water change and and very happy with the results.
I am not saying it is a miracle cure for all algae and for every tank as one thing I think we have all learnt over the years is that no two tanks run the same. However for me, this is one of a very few products that I have used that I would recommend for people with hair algae growing on their rocks.
Hope this is useful.
Have you noticed any decrease in nutrients when dosing clean?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot to add. Why do I believe this works? Well once all the algae went, I stopped dosing it. After a few months, I started to see the patches of algae return. I put this down to my phosphate still leaching from the rocks. I started dosing it again and after several weeks, the algae has once again gone.

Weeks to work and months to see a problem by not dosing it seems to allow for a lot of ether explanations for these effects, since these sorts of things happen in tanks not dosing for no clear cut reason, but it may be related, IMO. :)

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weeks to work and months to see a problem by not dosing it seems to allow for a lot of ether explanations for these effects, since these sorts of things happen in tanks not dosing for no clear cut reason, but it may be related, IMO. :)
That's actually exactly what I'd say from the information given as well as from the lack of an in-depth analysis...maybe it has something to do with the observed effects, maybe not. Personally, I wouldn't conclude that it's directly related without more supporting evidence (strong, more scientific-based evidence in all honesty). However, I don't know if any exists for this particular product or not, and if so, how strongly it would support the hypothesis that it does lead to the results claimed by the previous poster as of dosing it. Just for example, if they actually list the bacterial strains in the product (and there does exist at least some supporting evidence that they work synergistically to produce these effects more effectively than other blends/products), I'd be more inclined to believe anecdotes reporting it's high efficacy.

Again, I don't know if there is information such as this available for this specific product or not... I doubt there is because it's rare in the industry to disclose that information, but I'm admittedly not sure.
If this information is absent, I'd personally believe one of the innumerable other variables is far more likely to be playing a part (to what degree I don't think anyone can accurately measure).
That's simply my thinking process.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back