Microscope ID

MTLReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I’ve been fighting what appears to be dinos so I bought a microscope. I took a few videos and posted them here. I think it’s some kind of dino. They’re growing on most of my rocks and some on my glass as well

I also don’t know what those little green dots are if anyone can help out with that too!

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2196.mov
    69.5 MB
Last edited:

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give us a pic of the nuisance part of your tank. I'm gonna bet chrysophytes (the tiny motionless spherical cells)

OP
OP
M

MTLReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
give us a pic of the nuisance part of your tank. I'm gonna bet chrysophytes (the tiny motionless spherical cells)
Here are a few pics (I realize that under white light it looks a lot worse than I thought). Tank has been running for almost 2 years but the last 6 months have been a struggle with bryposis and aiptasia. I treated with fluconazole in September and killed that but it looks to be coming back a bit now and I was planning to do another fluconazole treatment

See a few additional notes:
- I’ve been struggling with phosphate at zero for months and I recently started dosing Fauna Marin elemental P to get it up
- I’m currently seeding some new rocks and was planning to add them into my tank to redo my scape
- I lost two frogspawns in the last month and I can’t figure out why… one I had for almost 2 years and the other one was recent (added in December)
- I just sent out an ICP test because I’m suspecting high silicates
- I noticed a coralline algea die off. I had a similar thing happen in October.
- I always thought I was struggling with dinos but it does look like chrysophytes when I’m comparing my microscope videos to pictures online

Attachments

• IMG_2203.jpeg
    IMG_2203.jpeg
    379 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2202.jpeg
    IMG_2202.jpeg
    268.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2204.jpeg
    IMG_2204.jpeg
    268.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2205.jpeg
    IMG_2205.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 21

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be a mix of hair algae and chrysophytes.

OP
OP
M

MTLReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it could be a mix of hair algae and chrysophytes.
Great thank you! In your opinion, should I deal with the chrysophytes first? And should I keep dosing phosphates to get them above zero?

It’s been a challenge but I really want my tank to look nice

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
phosphates detectably above zero is a fine goal whether it helps with the nuisance or not.
search for what other people are doing against chrysophytes. I don't think there's a clear set of guidance on this nuisance yet. (They are susceptible to the algaecide in algaefix etc.)

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back