Mimic Tang with ich

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I have recently acquired a new Mimic Tang and against all the advice I read and received I was anxious to add my first fish and did not QT it and is in my DT. Today being day 7 after introduction into DT notice the visible signs (spots, scratching) for Ich and would like to know if TTM is the best option in this scenario provided I can net it? I do have enough water saved from recent water changes circulating through a hob filter in another tank. I also have there alternatives to in tank treatment. Nothing else in the DT but snails. Also if I do transfer method how can I be I be sure that my DT or water that I have been saving doesn't have Ich? Thanks in advance!
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1468984216.472210.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1468984455.159664.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jwarren220 Can you take some closeup photos of the fish under white light? We need to see how many/the size of the white dots to determine if this is ich or velvet. Velvet can only be treated with copper or Chloroquine phosphate.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read about the descriptions of the two it initially makes me think Ich in that they are sugar size random spots and are minimal ( 5-7) some being on the tail others on the fins and face. Will grab another pic when I get home today with whites still on. Thanks always!!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I've read about the descriptions of the two it initially makes me think Ich in that they are sugar size random spots and are minimal ( 5-7) some being on the tail others on the fins and face. Will grab another pic when I get home today with whites still on. Thanks always!!

Sounds like ich (5-7 white spots), and if so TTM will work to clear him of that parasite. However, you must also go fallow (fishless) in the DT for 76 days to starve the parasites out of there.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like ich (5-7 white spots), and if so TTM will work to clear him of that parasite. However, you must also go fallow (fishless) in the DT for 76 days to starve the parasites out of there.

Ok thanks I appreciate your quick response and insight. Just a thought, being that I have snails in the DT should I be concerned with the parasites hosting on/in them or will eliminating fish alone do it?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, being that I have snails in the DT should I be concerned with the parasites hosting on/in them or will eliminating fish alone do it?

The tomont stage can live on corals/inverts for up to 72 days before releasing theronts (free swimmers which infect fish) into the water column. These theronts must find a fish host to feed upon within 48 hrs or die, thus ending ich's presence in your DT. So, I recommend going fallow/fishless in the DT for 76 days to protect your fish from being reinfected with the parasite. The extra 2 days is to take into account how long it can take the parasite to encyst into a tomont, after it has dropped off your fish.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took some quick shots during feeding with whites on. Notice a few more spots say 7-10. Eating normal.
Something I failed to mention and it becomes more relevant to the convo I had with my LFS like so many here, is that while doing a water change the other day my OF box (I drilled for bulkheads and installed box) knocked off and now it's draining through the strainer. The water level of the tank is about 2in lower but the system is still functioning as before.
Sorry to be long winded but where that comes into play is that my LFS who I feel I have a close relationship with ( front of my neighborhood), no surprise disagrees with TTM and says the spots are from stress. Now he did not push any meds or wrasses but still did not advise to remove to QT. He even pointed out two of the tangs in his Store DT had very noticeable cysts and wanted to point out that his other fish in it did not. I'm not at all disagreeing with your method or recommendation. More so only to validate my decision to try TTM. Apologies for the rant but it's been a long day.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469070703.185426.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469070729.630051.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469070751.157330.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469070765.183112.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469070779.443214.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like ich (the pics are too small to see - even when I click on them), and TTM is how I would deal with this being it's only one fish. I do feel TTM is the best way to treat ich; however its not always practical if dealing with a tank full of sick fish. o_O

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what looks like could be ich, but I am far from sure of it. The good news is the spots appear too large to be velvet.

OP
OP
jwarren220

jwarren220

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly some good news! Guess it's time to break out the Canon and freshen up. I will follow up when I start TT. Thanks again!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 43.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 55 15.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 19 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back