Mixed Reef - Do Not Understand What I'm doing Wrong

jacobupnext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a Redsea 250 and I cannot maintain the recommended levels of ALK/CA. Before I was using Seachem Part A/B and it didn't really do anything to help raise levels, I ended up losing three coral. I went to my LFS and picked up Redsea Part A/B they said this will do a lot better because its way more concentrated. Yesterday I dosed 50ml of each spread out throughout the day at separate times. This morning I tested and got these parameters:
ALK: 2.3dKH (Previously 2.3dKH)
CA: 320PPM (Previously 320PPM)
KH: 10.022
PH: 7.4PH (Previously 8.2)
Phosphate: .25 (Previously .50)
Nitrate: 5PPM
Nitrite: 0PPM
Ammonia: 0PPM
Approx tank volume is 60 gallons.
So I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong as far as dosing, I only have GSP frag/Duncan frag/BTA so consumption shouldn't be that high right?
Really what I'm asking what is a good game plan for dosing per day to get my levels back up without negatively affecting my PH.
And for context, I just added a refugium in my sump with Chaeto last night. I ran it opposite of my lighting schedule to control Phosphates as still dealing with excessive nutrients.

Any help is greatly appreciated, I am still learning.

Last edited:

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty confused on your numbers. My guess is part of the issue may be testing related. For example PH from 8.2 to 7.4 seems very unlikely.

What test kits are you using?

dKH: 10.022
Can you explain this? You show dkh at 2.3 and also at 10.022. if you are at proper salinity then its not going to be at 2.3. what is your salinity and how do you measure it?

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a Redsea 250 and I cannot maintain the recommended levels of ALK/CA. Before I was using Seachem Part A/B and it didn't really do anything to help raise levels, I ended up losing three coral. I went to my LFS and picked up Redsea Part A/B they said this will do a lot better because its way more concentrated. Yesterday I dosed 50ml of each spread out throughout the day at separate times. This morning I tested and got these parameters:
dKH: 10.022
So I'm not understanding what I'm doing wrong as far as dosing, I only have GSP frag/Duncan frag/BTA so consumption shouldn't be that high right?
Really what I'm asking what is a good game plan for dosing per day to get my levels back up without negatively affecting my PH.
And for context, I just added a refugium in my sump with Chaeto last night. I ran it opposite of my lighting schedule to control Phosphates as still dealing with excessive nutrients.

I'm not understanding the parameters you listed. You list an Alk of 2.3dKH and then two lines lower you list dKH 10.022. Is that second entry something other the Alk?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobupnext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty confused on your numbers. My guess is part of the issue may be testing related. For example PH from 8.2 to 7.4 seems very unlikely.

What test kits are you using?

Can you explain this? You show dkh at 2.3 and also at 10.022. if you are at proper salinity then its not going to be at 2.3. what is your salinity and how do you measure it?
Sorry 10.022 is carbonate hardness.
I use a Hanna ALK checker and for the rest I use API Master Reef/Saltwater test kit to get a full panel. Most of the time I test twice for the most accurate readings.

My salinity is 1.023, I use a refractometer.

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Hanna ALK checker and for the rest I use API Master Reef/Saltwater test kit to get a full panel. Most of the time I test twice for the most accurate readings.

Didn't see this before I answered. Throw away the API alk kit. The one you have is defective, or you are interpreting the results incorrectly. The Hanna checker checks the same parameter and it looks correct.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobupnext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. The number you are listing as Alk came from what? Carbonate hardness and alkalinity refer to the same parameter. 10.022 sounds about right. 2.3 is way out of spec.
From my Hanna ALK Checker, I know 2.3 was way out of spec. I tested twice and still got 2.3 so I don't know what to believe.

Upvote 0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agree with the need to tighten up your testing, and also would want to run salinity 1.026 or 35PPM for your corals
pH7.4 can't be right

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobupnext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn't see this before I answered. Throw away the API alk kit. The one you have is defective, or you are interpreting the results incorrectly. The Hanna checker checks the same parameter and it looks correct.
Right so the Hanna Checker is saying 2.3 which is extremely low. What would be the right course of action to get my numbers in the right range?

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would start with a comparative test on the alk. Hanna alk checker reagent is junk and if old or left open too long often reads very low. Your dkh is not going to be 2.3 if salinity is 1.023. unless maybe that reading is in meg/l rather than dkh. My hanna gives ppm number not sure if others give in dkh or meg/l

Upvote 0

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right so the Hanna Checker is saying 2.3 which is extremely low. What would be the right course of action to get my numbers in the right range?
Wait. The Hanna checker is reading 2.3? Sounds like bad or old reagents. Get a new batch. It sounds like the API is reading right although I don't know how you can get 10.022 off a color card.

Upvote 0

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would start with a comparative test on the alk. Hanna alk checker reagent is junk and if old or left open too long often reads very low. Your dkh is not going to be 2.3 if salinity is 1.023. unless maybe that reading is in meg/l rather than dkh. My hanna gives ppm number not sure if others give in dkh or meg/l
have seen 5 point differences (4.8 to 9.6) by changing reagent bottles on the Hanna - so thi is a problem
I now keep the lid on as best as possible and keep it in the wine cooler between uses - and still consider it my go to test

Upvote 0

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
KH: 10.022

Did I miss a magnesium reading?
Have you checked that also?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

jacobupnext

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think @mdb_talon might have hit it on the head. Make sure whether your Hanna checker is reading meg/l or dKH.
It is reading in dKH. I just tested again twice and now reading 1.6-1.1dKH.

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 34
Upvote 0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 114 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back