Mixing BTA

noahwz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have been trying to keep a mixed reef, with multiple colors of BTA. I already know this is a heavily debated topic. Currently my tank is a 45 gallon, Few months old, was the upgrade to my previous year old tank. I have cycled and added corals and BTA, slowly I have been adding new variants of lower end BTA. Currently i have 2 Rose BTA, 2 Rainbow BTA, 2 Black Widow BTA, 1 Funburst BTA, 3 Green BTA of different patterns, and 3 RFA. For awhile everyone has been doing okay.

I have had a green anemone die after numerous days of inflating/deflating and leaving its mouth open exposing and spitting out Zooxanthellae. I attributed the death of that nem to possibility of water parameter swings as the tank was on the newer end when I introduced it and or warfare between the other color variants. Now i have 2/3 green anemones spending most of the day deflated and when they are inflated they definitely don't seem as happy as before. I'm running carbon and testing water frequently.

Parameters
Salinity: 1.025
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Phos: 0
Cal: 450
Mag: 1500 (run heavy for LPS)
Alk: 8.5
PH 8.2

I've done a lot of research and seen that people frequently have had success keeping multiple colors, and also have seen frequently that people have struggled keeping GBTA with any other colors.

#fishmedics please help!

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Anemones, like coral, need phosphates. That would be the first thing I'd address.

You say you run carbon... How much, and how frequently do you change it? Passive flow or in a reactor?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was everything from the year old tank transferred or is this a new 2 month old tank? Maturity and stability are key for nems.

As far as the color variations there is a lot of anecdotal evidence showing there can be issues. You can try running carbon to help.

OP
OP
N

noahwz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. Anemones, like coral, need phosphates. That would be the first thing I'd address.

You say you run carbon... How much, and how frequently do you change it? Passive flow or in a reactor?
im running heavy on carbon, a little more than suggested, it is passive flow in a bag.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running heavy on carbon, a little more than suggested, it is passive flow in a bag.

I've found that running extra carbon doesn't help as much as changing it more frequently. I change mine (in a reactor) every 2 weeks.

I'm actually looking in to using ozone instead of carbon. The initial investment is more, obviously, but it would save me some work (and ongoing costs) in the long run.

OP
OP
N

noahwz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was everything from the year old tank transferred or is this a new 2 month old tank? Maturity and stability are key for nems.

As far as the color variations there is a lot of anecdotal evidence showing there can be issues. You can try running carbon to help.
absolutely agree and am familiar with need for stability. I started off with a few rainbows, black widows before adding anything else and they have done well and parameters have not fluctuated much since completing its cycle.

OP
OP
N

noahwz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found that running extra carbon doesn't help as much as changing it more frequently. I change mine (in a reactor) every 2 weeks.

I'm actually looking in to using ozone instead of carbon. The initial investment is more, obviously, but it would save me some work (and ongoing costs) in the long run.
mine is about 2 weeks old, i will switch it out today.

OP
OP
N

noahwz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
73627378983__E88E1C78-9A5B-41D6-BEFB-A3E4D0E6779E.jpg
IMG_3549.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg

This is this morning, i added nitrifying bacteria because i decided to test nitrite and was not at 0, more like 0.15-0.25, wondering if i had a minor cycle crash. Just strange that the green nems are the only ones that are upset.

OP
OP
N

noahwz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
73627378983__E88E1C78-9A5B-41D6-BEFB-A3E4D0E6779E.jpg
IMG_3549.jpg
IMG_3547.jpg

This is this morning, i added nitrifying bacteria because i decided to test nitrite and was not at 0, more like 0.15-0.25, wondering if i had a minor cycle crash. Just strange that the green nems are the only ones that are upset.
up until now, nitrite ammonia have been 0 nitrate was around 5ppm, now more like 0 ammonia, 0.15-0.25 nitrite, and 5ppm nitate.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to test for nitrite or ammonia in an established tank.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back