Mixing different bubble tip anemones

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I was curious can you add a chicago or colorado sunburst anemone to a tank that has rose bubble tip and a green bubble tip?
I've heard that they will have chemical warfare and kill each other slowly. I'm curious on everyones take on this subject.

I want to add a chicago or colorado to my main tank but i have a rose and green. I do have a second tank though I can move these 2 "common" nems into if needed.

dkelley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tons of threads with this topic. I researched it extensively back in the day and there is a lady on here who has 10 types in one tank but I have had a green one die off with RBT's in the tank. However, right now I have five RBT's with one black widow and it's fine. I think it is just like fish, each one will do what it does. Depends on the individual nem.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tons of threads with this topic. I researched it extensively back in the day and there is a lady on here who has 10 types in one tank but I have had a green one die off with RBT's in the tank. However, right now I have five RBT's with one black widow and it's fine. I think it is just like fish, each one will do what it does. Depends on the individual nem.
makes sense. so probably best to not risk it. I'll think it over and maybe move the nems out of my main display. Really like the look of colorado/chicago nems

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, tons of threads, and most people say the same thing -- don't risk it. But there will always be one or two people who say that they don't have any problems. More often than not, people post because they want to hear that it's possible to do successfully. At this point, I'm not sure why people keep asking because there are so many threads about it. The consensus hasn't changed, and it probably won't.

OP
OP
N11morales

N11morales

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, tons of threads, and most people say the same thing -- don't risk it. But there will always be one or two people who say that they don't have any problems. More often than not, people post because they want to hear that it's possible to do successfully. At this point, I'm not sure why people keep asking because there are so many threads about it. The consensus hasn't changed, and it probably won't.
Good point. I honestly wasn’t thinking and didn’t look for other threads. But yeah I’m not gonna risk it.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1710443939732.jpeg

It's entirely possible people diagnose the demise of their BTA as "warfare" when in fact it's just the BTA unhappy with its location or water conditions or specific lighting needs or whatever. Lots of reasons why a BTA can die.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Nexus and a Colorado in a 25g tank, they were in a 15g together. Have had no issues.

Mppp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1710443939732.jpeg

It's entirely possible people diagnose the demise of their BTA as "warfare" when in fact it's just the BTA unhappy with its location or water conditions or specific lighting needs or whatever. Lots of reasons why a BTA can die.
I have to ask as I was just about to start a thread on BTA touching zoas as I see in your picture as I have one doing just that if this is a serious problem/concern i.e .are zoas constantly releasing palytoxins? Thoughts...thank you!

Attachments

• Anemone 1.jpeg
    Anemone 1.jpeg
    90.5 KB · Views: 42

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20240310_131629.jpg

Rose/rainbow with 2 blackwidow.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is SPECIFICALLY asking about a chicago or colorado sunburst BTA with a rose BTAS and a green bubble BTA.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP is SPECIFICALLY asking about a chicago or colorado sunburst BTA with a rose BTAS and a green bubble BTA.
In my opinion it doesn't really matter what variations they're asking about. Colorado, black widow, acid rain, they're all just BTA with different color variation. It's a very broad question.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it doesn't really matter what variations they're asking about. Colorado, black widow, acid rain, they're all just BTA with different color variation. It's a very broad question.
But are they? If we look up the work of Dr. Ben Titus he has found that there are at least 5 different genetic makeups that we all call just BTAs. 5 isolated species that we are calling the same species. My belief is that it is indeed warfare, not not between the same species, but between different species.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But are they? If we look up the work of Dr. Ben Titus he has found that there are at least 5 different genetic makeups that we all call just BTAs. 5 isolated species that we are calling the same species. My belief is that it is indeed warfare, not not between the same species, but between different species.

That's not the point of my response. They made sure to say "SPECIFICALLY" when in response I said the names don't matter. A green hubbaloo and a red bubblegum will indeed be bta, that doesnt mean they cant be different species. Regardless, the specifics shouldn't matter.

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not the point of my response. They made sure to say "SPECIFICALLY" when in response I said the names don't matter. A green hubbaloo and a red bubblegum will indeed be bta, that doesnt mean they cant be different species. Regardless, the specifics shouldn't matter.
How would anemones in a tank being different species not matter? Their allelopathic interactions certainly matter.

It is very likely that Colorado, black widow, acid rain etc are not simpy all just BTA with different color variation.

The reason so many people who have been working with so many different undescribed species that we have just been calling Entacmaea quadricolor have not had luck keeping them long term together is because they are not the same species.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would anemones in a tank being different species not matter? Their allelopathic interactions certainly matter.

It is very likely that Colorado, black widow, acid rain etc are not simpy all just BTA with different color variation.

The reason so many people who have been working with so many different undescribed species that we have just been calling Entacmaea quadricolor have not had luck keeping them long term together is because they are not the same species.
People mix them all the time. I provided my personal example of Nexus and CSB. For this discussion and my original response, i am mixing a csb, a rose bta and a green bta. I could potentially have 3 different species, 2 of them literally morphed together. Some people can't keep green bta, some people cant keep red bta. Same thing with people not being able to keep zoa or mushrooms despite having an SPS oasis.

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People mix them all the time. I provided my personal example of Nexus and CSB. For this discussion and my original response, i am mixing a csb, a rose bta and a green bta. I could potentially have 3 different species, 2 of them literally morphed together. Some people can't keep green bta, some people cant keep red bta. Same thing with people not being able to keep zoa or mushrooms despite having an SPS oasis.
I think this is where you're getting it wrong. Specifics do matter. Defining the color morph/strains does matter, because some BTA morphs can live in the same tank, and others--based on quite a lot of anecdotal evidence--cannot live together successfully for an extended period of time (months/years) CSBs being one of them. Ideally someone should make a compatibility chart that has all of the different color morphs listed on X and Y axis with a simple "Yes/No" to show if they can co-exist. It sounds like for you--if you were to make that chart--you'd have all "Yes" responses.

By your definition, you're saying two different color morphs came together to form the Nexus Burst. Am I understanding that correctly? You believe that a Nexus Burst of literally a graft of a rose and green BTA? My understanding is that it came in as a wild BTA, though I don't know if I truly believe that either. Unfortunately, ECC is being very secretive and selective with their words, so we may never know.

Yes, people mix them all the time, them specifically meaning either ChSBs and/or CSBs with other morphs. But should they? Probably not. Of course, this is a generalization, since some people do have success, but they're either lucky or have enough experience to spot any potential issues and rectify them quickly. If someone is asking on a thread/post, then they probably don't have that level of experience. The quick answer is just to say "no."

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, there are factors. You could have 3 different genetic organisms, or you could have one. Your experience is different than most. At this moment a foot to my right is a tank with 50+ rainbow anemones. There are 3 different kinds in that tank with the majority being splits from one. there are two of another that has lost a lot of color over months and I know will eventually die if kept in that tank. I've been down that road mixing those 2 rainbows together over the last few years and know what will happen from experience mixing it in that tank and other tanks. Six feet to my right is another tank that has a black widow and 5 rainbow bubble tips that are different than the tank only a foot away. Six feet in front of me is a tank with 5 or 6 Chicago Sunburst Anemones in it. Fifteen feet to my left is a tank with 25 - 30 Colorado Sunburst Anemones in it. That tank is up against another tank with a few dozen of yet another type of rainbow bubble tip anemone. In that 4 foot by 8 foot tank along with those rainbow bubble tip anemones there are various types of toadstool leather corals. You can see the purple lines coming from the tips of those anemones down the tentacles showing that they are not happy with the proximity to the leathers. Just like I can see the signs in the few anemones to my right that aren't happy being mixed to my right. MY personal experience is don't play with fire. I've tried mixing this and that over the decades, but it generally does not work out. Obviously there are factors such as number of anemones, tank size, use of carbon, proximity in space etc. I also know when to rely on the wisdom of those that have gone before Go ask the guys who have been farming the high end anemones for a decade + or even half that if you can mix them and you are going to get a no.

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is where you're getting it wrong. Specifics do matter. Defining the color morph/strains does matter, because some BTA morphs can live in the same tank, and others--based on quite a lot of anecdotal evidence--cannot live together successfully for an extended period of time (months/years) CSBs being one of them. Ideally someone should make a compatibility chart that has all of the different color morphs listed on X and Y axis with a simple "Yes/No" to show if they can co-exist. It sounds like for you--if you were to make that chart--you'd have all "Yes" responses.

By your definition, you're saying two different color morphs came together to form the Nexus Burst. Am I understanding that correctly? You believe that a Nexus Burst of literally a graft of a rose and green BTA? My understanding is that it came in as a wild BTA, though I don't know if I truly believe that either. Unfortunately, ECC is being very secretive and selective with their words, so we may never know.

Yes, people mix them all the time, them specifically meaning either ChSBs and/or CSBs with other morphs. But should they? Probably not. Of course, this is a generalization, since some people do have success, but they're either lucky or have enough experience to spot any potential issues and rectify them quickly. If someone is asking on a thread/post, then they probably don't have that level of experience. The quick answer is just to say "no."
No, I think you're going way further than necessary. Specifics don't matter because nobody can tell anyone for sure what specie any type of bta is. All I was saying to the person I responded to who said op is "SPECIFICALLY" asking about csb, green and red was that those scenarios don't matter. That's basically all I was getting at. According to you guys, just don't mix any colors. Specifics shouldn't matter.

jormanvf

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1710443939732.jpeg

Excuse me, what type are those BTA's?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 40 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back