Mixing Fish

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi: I need advice . Short Story my clown jumped out of the tank after 2 years. So I now want to replace it. My only other fish is a yellow tang. I have mixed feelings about putting carnivores, and omnivores in with a herbivore. My reasoning is my experience to losing 14 captive breed cichlids yellow Malawi to Malawi bloat. This was caused by feeding them food given to me by lfs which contained meat ie shrimp and fish meal. I do not want a repeat of this experience. My one choice was a watchman goby, along with a pistol shrimp after finding out about their cool relationship. Anyway is it safe to mix fish with different diets together?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi: I need advice . Short Story my clown jumped out of the tank after 2 years. So I now want to replace it. My only other fish is a yellow tang. I have mixed feelings about putting carnivores, and omnivores in with a herbivore. My reasoning is my experience to losing 14 captive breed cichlids yellow Malawi to Malawi bloat. This was caused by feeding them food given to me by lfs which contained meat ie shrimp and fish meal. I do not want a repeat of this experience. My one choice was a watchman goby, along with a pistol shrimp after finding out about their cool relationship. Anyway is it safe to mix fish with different diets together?
I've never considered my selection of saltwater fish in that manner.
I've found that most all of the fish I have every had would eat the meat diet. And when I added herbivore food all or most of the fish went after that too.
When I add a nori to the clip, all of the wrasses and clowns go up and tear off pieces.
I've never seen any issues or heard of any potential issue.

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies. I finally saw which I forgot that yellow tangs are omnivores. The reason I forgot is that I bought apparently sought after Canadian misis shrimp. The Tang nor the clown would touch it. My yellow only likes nori. The clown liked flake veggie . GO figer. So anyway decided on ( out of what I could find available ) Is a yellow watchman Goby, along with a Candy Cane pistol shrimp. Also a Starry Blenny

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back