Modifying premade stand (or diy) to fit sump??

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally pulled decided on a 20 cube sump - however my sump section of the stand is easily short 2-3” . I also need to cut out the cabinet shelf.

— So I can cut out the shelf and add some 2x4 behind to match Sump height - but worry about keeping level once the top is filled? Maybe can put another piece of wood platform?

—Or I could just take out their entire wood panels & add new wooden panels without the shelf and extend it backwards about 2 inches?

— Or maybe just redo the whole unit in 2x4s and regret not pulling the trigger on a 34” non cube sump instead?

(The only reason I didn’t diy the whole unit is because I figured the metal frame may be stronger? The top shelf not only has horizontal supports but 3 (plus the two sides) supports going the width. The panels are cheap particularly board.)

IMG_2808.jpeg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am sure modifying and reinforcing the existing stand could work, and if you have a vision and feel confident doing so it might be worth it. That said, if it were me I would feel more comfortable using a different sump that fits the stand or just making a new stand.

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure modifying and reinforcing the existing stand could work, and if you have a vision and feel confident doing so it might be worth it. That said, if it were me I would feel more comfortable using a different sump that fits the stand or just making a new stand.
I could have gone with a 26g sump but felt a little restricted in compartments - even though they’d be more accessible and fit. Ultimately I really want a reef mat and that also guided some decisions.

Either way the stand is have to cut the shelf or or replace the inside panels because it’s only like 16” space for the sump (height wise).

I know a ton of people build simple frames for their tanks but I guess I just worry about under estimating?

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • No

Votes: 152 76.8%
  • Unsure

Votes: 20 10.1%
Back