Monitors health

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a montipora that I’ve had for about 4 months where the color has been slowly going out over the last few weeks. Not sure if the best thing to do is to move it to a new location… I’m afraid moving it might break the growth at the base and stress it out even more. It appears the parts that are fading still have polyps from the pictures.

It’s in a 180 gallon display with the following parameters:
Salinity - 1.026
Alkalinity - 9.0
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1425
Phosphate - .05
Nitrate - 9.0

IMG_1432.jpeg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The parameters you have at glance look good. From my experience I observed that montiporas struggle when PO4 is decreasing especially at the 0.05 ppm level and below.

Your value is borderline and I had lot more success with PO4 in the 0.07-0.12 ppm range. Also use of GFO or other types of PO4 removers made my montiporas unhappy.

I would keep it where it is. Generally I do start most of my corals on sand and move them to final location over a week or four.

If you are not carbon dosing you could try some carbon dosing to feed the bacteria and in turn corals will consume the bacteria so that could be another food source for the corals. For example I am dosing 0.3ml of TM NP Bacto Ballance.
Extra fish feeding might help or once a week coral food like Reef Roids or FM Coral dust.

As for light montiporas are adaptable, I seen some few inches from the water surface and I have one located on the sand:
1713236659409.jpeg

Good luck,

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a montipora that I’ve had for about 4 months where the color has been slowly going out over the last few weeks. Not sure if the best thing to do is to move it to a new location… I’m afraid moving it might break the growth at the base and stress it out even more. It appears the parts that are fading still have polyps from the pictures.

It’s in a 180 gallon display with the following parameters:
Salinity - 1.026
Alkalinity - 9.0
Calcium - 450
Magnesium - 1425
Phosphate - .05
Nitrate - 9.0

IMG_1432.jpeg
Looks like the lights are completly blue.
You may as some white(red) for the redish coral. That should bring out some of that color.

OP
OP
N

Nathaniellund17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the lights are completly blue.
You may as some white(red) for the redish coral. That should bring out some of that color.
Thanks for taking a look. This photo was taken at night with some filters. During the day, I do have my white lights up to 100%. Here’sa picture from the day.

Attachments

• IMG_1433.jpeg
    IMG_1433.jpeg
    223.3 KB · Views: 5

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 70 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%

Back