Monti cap white patches ?

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have 2 pieces of purple monti , smaller one lost colour on one side a couple of weeks ago. Larger one was unaffected but in the last few days has developed a few white streaks. Any ideas what this could be ?

20240331_095223.jpg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
have you checked for monti eating nudi's ?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
usually not, nocturnal, look at underside of affected areas too.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing with white patches in caps is as mentioned mens. If you can rule them out then my guess in order would be low potassium, Magnesium, or possibly even nitrate. I can almost use my caps as an indicator of something lacking in the system.

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing with white patches in caps is as mentioned mens. If you can rule them out then my guess in order would be low potassium, Magnesium, or possibly even nitrate. I can almost use my caps as an indicator of something lacking in the system.
Nitrates are steady at around 25 so can't be that and magnesium around 1400. I have a green monti cap that looks fine and the 2 purple ones started this at separate times so I wonder if that means it's less to do with parameters ?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates are steady at around 25 so can't be that and magnesium around 1400. I have a green monti cap that looks fine and the 2 purple ones started this at separate times so I wonder if that means it's less to do with parameters ?
Wait is that a rhodactis growing under it or am I seeing things? If so you might have found the culprit. Their undercarriage can be just as susceptible to warfare.

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait is that a rhodactis growing under it or am I seeing things? If so you might have found the culprit. Their undercarriage can be just as susceptible to warfare.
It is , not on the same rock and not as close as the picture makes it seem though its probably around 3 or 4 inches away if that makes any odds ?

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is , not on the same rock and not as close as the picture makes it seem though its probably around 3 or 4 inches away if that makes any odds ?
Well if you don't find any bugs in the middle of the night and haven't had any alk swings then it could be bacterial and I would recommend an lugols dip. It can only help.

OP
OP
raythereefer

raythereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if you don't find any bugs in the middle of the night and haven't had any alk swings then it could be bacterial and I would recommend an lugols dip. It can only help.
Cheers hopefully I don't find any and if so will try that

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back