Most Expensive fish?

Dr. Frag

The Megalodon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was Thinking of buying some RARE EXOTIC FISH AND BREEDing them to make a profit .the more expesive the better. Every thing $200 and ups good. sharks , rays , eels, anglers, tangs , clowns ,triggers, angels,ect.:after_boom:

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
200 isnt very expensive when theres lots of fish 1000+
masked angel also up there

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think you can breed most of the fish you listed ?
Am I wrong ?

Chelsey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything that you have listed with the exception of the clowns and dwarf angels has yet to be successfully aquacultured in large numbers or even aquacultured at all. The reason they're expensive is because they are not readily available and must be collected.

RCT Hawaii was able to aquaculture some dwarf angels (Interruptus, etc) but nobody on the mainland that does not have access to the ocean has been able to aquaculture any dwarf angels, even flames. They get them to a certain point but after that they cannot provide the food that the larvae need.

You may be successful in breeding clowns but finding the very rare ones that will hold their value over the years is difficult, and getting them to breed is even harder. If you're set on clowns you might want to start with a pair of ocellaris and work your way up (Latz, etc). If you're interested in breeding abberations (picassos, snowflakes) you can expect to pay a lot for a pair now and then have to wait for them to grow up and start spawning. I suspect that by the time you have a spawning pair enough people will be raising them that the price will go down, though I could be wrong.

Unless you raise common fish in large batches the odds of you making a serious profit (unless you're RCT, ORA, or the snowflake breeders) are incredibly slim.

If you are as stubborn as I am and still want to have a go at it, read any and every thread on this site: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/index.php

My personal goal is to breed picasso clowns (I lost my spawning pair a few months ago) and someday perhaps have a pair of interruptus, though I will be waiting for RCT to reopen before I purchase my pair. To successfully raise dwarf angel fry you must have specific species of copepod larvae in massive quantities, as well as other microscopic "bugs." I am currently farming mysis and various other copepods in my sump, but I would need a tank dedicated to them if I were to raise them in sufficient quantities...everybody has to start somewhere ;)

Last edited:

AquaWorldPSC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if you can breed rare fish easy they wouldn't be so rare. Like Chelsey said most are yet to be successfully bred.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200 is not expensive. If you want the most expensive then get the peppermint angel. They are like 10k+ Good luck breeding them.

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want the most expensive fish you want show quality Koi they can sell for way over 20K and they're a lot easier to breed than saltwater fish.

labman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep

exotic freshwater breeding is the way to go saltwater breeding fish list is small success is limited other wise many many people would have done it some success with sharks but people that will buy them are small. rare clown would be the best option in saltwater lots of people want them too other wise Freshwater is the way to go. you can find saltwater fish worth 20k but good luck breeding them heck good luck trying to breed yellow tangs or any tang lol

cl2ysta1

I
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'd suggest clowns. If you get five breeding pairs that are producing a couple hundred larvae a week that really adds up in the long run. Even if you are only getting 3-5 per fish. good luck

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 44.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back