Moving 2 tanks into 1

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I find myself in a somewhat complex situation.
Currently, I have two reef tanks - a Biocube 32 and a bowfront 55.
I'm vacating my apartment on March 31st, and I won't be moving into a new one until mid-May (as I'll be out of the country, so there's no point in renting an empty place for that duration).
I've about to buy a larger tank (150 gallons) and placing it at my friend's house. Then, I'd merge both of my current tanks into this new 150-gallon one, so when I return in mid-May, I'll only have to move one tank.

My question is:
Is this the right approach, or would it be better to leave things as they are for now? Should I just place the two tanks at my friend's house and merge them upon my return?
If I opt for the move, what would be the best method to execute it? Should I transfer all the contents of the 55-gallon tank, including the water and sand, to the new tank and then add more water and sand?
I'm quite confused because time is limited, and I understand that starting a new tank from scratch would require a minimum of two weeks for cycling. This poses a challenge since I'm moving out on the 31st (which leaves only two weeks).
Any suggestions on how to proceed efficiently and effectively would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot_20240313_113322_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20240313_113335_Gallery.jpg

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you move everything over I would not worry about cycling. Set up the new tank, move everything and wait 24 hours should be enough. Test to confirm but no reason you would have to cycle again. You will probably get the standard diatom bloom if the 150 is new.
As for when to merge, I would do it after. You have two tank running that I assume are trouble free and reliable. Don’t rock the boat when you’re about to move and leave your friend to deal with it. Couple that with setting up the 150 twice adds undo stress to it and you have a few reasons to stay with the status quo for now.

OP
OP
simon03

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you move everything over I would not worry about cycling. Set up the new tank, move everything and wait 24 hours should be enough. Test to confirm but no reason you would have to cycle again. You will probably get the standard diatom bloom if the 150 is new.
As for when to merge, I would do it after. You have two tank running that I assume are trouble free and reliable. Don’t rock the boat when you’re about to move and leave your friend to deal with it. Couple that with setting up the 150 twice adds undo stress to it and you have a few reasons to stay with the status quo for now.
Thank you for your reply.
I was worried about cycle in the new 150g tank in case i will set it up now..
What will be the best way to do the move after ?
let the new tank to pass cycle with new sand and water and than move both to the new tank ?

Last edited:

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply.
I was worried about cycle in the new 150g tank in case i will set it up now..
What will be the best way to do the move after ?
let the new tank to pass cycle with new sand and water and than move both to the new tank ?
When you do the move your rocks should have so much bacteria in them that you won't have to worry about any cycling issues essentially if you don't move the sand. The sand has lots if built up stuff in it that could cause some issues if disturbed so I would get new sand. You can full up the tank part if the way with water and put any rocks you need on the bottom of your glass for support then add sand. Then fill up the tank a little higher after you have added any of the structure rock and sand and add the rest if your rock and coral. Then fill up whatever water you have left to fill. I wouldn't fill up water all the way until you see how much space all your rock and coral displace.

The move really shouldn't be too stressful. If you wanted you could move all the rock and coral over to the 150 and go no sand until you got back but you'd still have to set up twice. Moving sand is the pain in the butt part always for me IMO.

OP
OP
simon03

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do the move your rocks should have so much bacteria in them that you won't have to worry about any cycling issues essentially if you don't move the sand. The sand has lots if built up stuff in it that could cause some issues if disturbed so I would get new sand. You can full up the tank part if the way with water and put any rocks you need on the bottom of your glass for support then add sand. Then fill up the tank a little higher after you have added any of the structure rock and sand and add the rest if your rock and coral. Then fill up whatever water you have left to fill. I wouldn't fill up water all the way until you see how much space all your rock and coral displace.

The move really shouldn't be too stressful. If you wanted you could move all the rock and coral over to the 150 and go no sand until you got back but you'd still have to set up twice. Moving sand is the pain in the butt part always for me IMO.
So new sand in the new tank than move as much water that i can from both of the tanks plus the rocks and fill the rest with new water should be fine ? the tank wont go to cycle ? i assume i will be able to transfer around 70 +- gallon from both to the new one

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So new sand in the new tank than move as much water that i can from both of the tanks plus the rocks and fill the rest with new water should be fine ? the tank wont go to cycle ? i assume i will be able to transfer around 70 +- gallon from both to the new one
The water doesn't hold any benefits so you would just be transferring the water to save yourself from having to mix 100+ gallons. You can use most of the water if you want though to save on mixing.

Your tank won't have any ammonia problems or anything like that.

You will still probably have some new tank syndrome like stuff because of the sand but the rocks fish and coral will be fine. They shouldn't have any issues from the move because of the new sand.

You won't have to cycle the tank.

OP
OP
simon03

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The water doesn't hold any benefits so you would just be transferring the water to save yourself from having to mix 100+ gallons. You can use most of the water if you want though to save on mixing.

Your tank won't have any ammonia problems or anything like that.

You will still probably have some new tank syndrome like stuff because of the sand but the rocks fish and coral will be fine. They shouldn't have any issues from the move because of the new sand.

You won't have to cycle the tank.
You sure?
So I can just add new sand to the new tank, fill water ( some from my tanks and some new) and add the rocks and fish and everything should be good?
No cycle?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire thread is your type of job done over and over hundreds of times, no cycle. The way we did it was by never moving old sand. It doesn't matter that these jobs aren't combining two tanks into one, it's that every job is a full tank disassembly and neutralization of the sandbed over and over.

How they recombined didn't matter it's that surfaces were handled with skip cycle means

Last edited:

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure?
So I can just add new sand to the new tank, fill water ( some from my tanks and some new) and add the rocks and fish and everything should be good?
No cycle?
I've done it four times now. No cycle. Just don't move the old sand there's too much built up ammonia in your sand bed. It is all compacted down and if you move it you will release it into the new tank.

The rock has enough bacteria to make the move happen without a Cycle. You will be fine. I have had to break my tank down a couple of times for moves and from a leak. I always just put everything in storage tubs you can buy at the store and I put my light over the tank and put pumps in it for circulation. I wash the sand out clean the tank and move it somewhere else. It is never any issue. It just takes time. I also take the time to scrub the rocks of anything I don't want when transferring.

So am I sure???? Yes. You will be fine just no old sand.

Luke I said before you could put everything in the new 150 if you want and just not put sand in it when you are gone and when you come back and move it then put sand in. You may waste water that way but your friend will only have to take care of one tank.

OP
OP
simon03

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it four times now. No cycle. Just don't move the old sand there's too much built up ammonia in your sand bed. It is all compacted down and if you move it you will release it into the new tank.

The rock has enough bacteria to make the move happen without a Cycle. You will be fine. I have had to break my tank down a couple of times for moves and from a leak. I always just put everything in storage tubs you can buy at the store and I put my light over the tank and put pumps in it for circulation. I wash the sand out clean the tank and move it somewhere else. It is never any issue. It just takes time. I also take the time to scrub the rocks of anything I don't want when transferring.

So am I sure???? Yes. You will be fine just no old sand.

Luke I said before you could put everything in the new 150 if you want and just not put sand in it when you are gone and when you come back and move it then put sand in. You may waste water that way but your friend will only have to take care of one tank.
Thank you so much for your help!
I think ill listen to your advise, I will move both of the tanks into to the new tank without sand and when I back ill move the big tank to my future to be apartment and add new sand.
I have those snails that go under the sand and comes out only when im feeding, you think they should be fine in the new tank without sand?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you move the sand just rinse it in a bucket and it’s as good as “new”. Really no such thing as “new” sand.

fishyjoes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to see how this turns out.
Is your friend an experienced reefer? Are they likely to be able to even keep your setup living for over a month?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for your help!
I think ill listen to your advise, I will move both of the tanks into to the new tank without sand and when I back ill move the big tank to my future to be apartment and add new sand.
I have those snails that go under the sand and comes out only when im feeding, you think they should be fine in the new tank without sand?
The nassarius do like to burrow under the sand. I currently have a tank with them in it and I have coarse Hawaii black sand they can't go under. They just sleep on top of it or hide in caves now.

You could loose some but they'll still run around the tank eating any left over food. They just won't be as happy.

But I won't say you might not loose a few but it's not a big deal they're a couple of bucks to replace of some die off. If I have 20 maybe 2 or 3 don't make it. And you'll have bristle worms in your tank to eat then and left over food if they die. So it's not really a worry.

Someone did say you can wash your old sand. If you want to go through that process and put all your old sand in buckets and wash it and leave it for when you come back you can probably do that but truthfully I would just get new sand. I don't want to waste the time washing 100lbs of sand.

OP
OP
simon03

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your friend an experienced reefer? Are they likely to be able to even keep your setup living for over a month?
No shes not.
She just going to feed them, add fuel and top off water..
The only thing that they need to survive for one month..

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah realistically I just worry about someone else taking care if my tank hahaha. Forget moving it. No one I'm friends with locally likes reef tanks like me. I know other hobbyists but were not cool enough to leave a tank at their house for a month.

OP
OP
simon03

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No shes not.
She just going to feed them, add fuel and top off water..
The only thing that they need to survive for one month..
Yeah realistically I just worry about someone else taking care if my tank hahaha. Forget moving it. No one I'm friends with locally likes reef tanks like me. I know other hobbyists but were not cool enough to leave a tank at their house for a month.
Thats a really good friend, years ago I had seahorses in my tank and she went there everyday to feed them when I went to vacations

OP
OP
simon03

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nassarius do like to burrow under the sand. I currently have a tank with them in it and I have coarse Hawaii black sand they can't go under. They just sleep on top of it or hide in caves now.

You could loose some but they'll still run around the tank eating any left over food. They just won't be as happy.

But I won't say you might not loose a few but it's not a big deal they're a couple of bucks to replace of some die off. If I have 20 maybe 2 or 3 don't make it. And you'll have bristle worms in your tank to eat then and left over food if they die. So it's not really a worry.

Someone did say you can wash your old sand. If you want to go through that process and put all your old sand in buckets and wash it and leave it for when you come back you can probably do that but truthfully I would just get new sand. I don't want to waste the time washing 100lbs of sand.
I dont mind about that..
I think ill go with new sand I really dont have the time to wash it and deal with it..
So adding new sand wont make the tank get into cycle either?

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont mind about that..
I think ill go with new sand I really dont have the time to wash it and deal with it..
So adding new sand wont make the tank get into cycle either?
No. It won't. You could potentially get dinos or something on the sand because it is new but the same thing would happen if you washed the sand.

But the sand won't matter towards a Cycle issue or anything.

New sand is new places to build up bacteria and what not so there will be changes with it but in general your tank will be 100% cycled with the old rock.

Your tank would be 100% cycled if you never put sand back in it at this point in the tanks life.

But no matter what you could have some ugly stages with new sand or old sand just bc it is "clean". But zero cycle issues.

OP
OP
simon03

simon03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all for the help!
I decided to put the new tank in a storage and once i back from my trip i will set up everything in the tank while im here and in my new house ! I got prostar150 i think its going to look amazing

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back