Moving coral frags with cyano

mmbaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a bunch of coral frags and have been attempting to acclimate them in my nano (13.5G) tank for the past 3 months while my 100G system is getting settled in. The nano tank is pretty mature (I’ve had it 4 years but relocated it 1 year ago), whereas the 100G is now only about 9 months old and I had planned to give it time to develop before putting too much new stuff into it.

Anyhow, my nano tank is going through a really bad cyano phase (not for the first time) that I just can’t get under control, and the corals are not doing well.

I’d like to move the frags to my larger tank, where a small number of corals are actually doing really well, but I don’t want to transport the cyano with them.

Is there any treatment I can do to the frags to clear them of the cyano, before putting them into my larger tank?

I normally dip all of my coral in Iodine before adding them to a tank, but I have no idea if that will help with cyano. That red stuff is such a PITA!

Thanks in advance for your help.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you tried the coral snow spiked with microbacter7? It helps out a ton when cyanogen pops up in my lower flow areas.

OP
OP
mmbaba

mmbaba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@19Mateo83 - I hadn’t, but I’m ready to try anything in the nano, thanks…

Still looking for a way to treat the frags before moving them into the larger tank, if anyone has any ideas…

Thanks!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano comes off very easily. I would just use a turkey baster or siphon and remove before transfer.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 184 73.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back