MP40 or Gyre 150? I need advice from owners!

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea it's pretty difficult plug it in and turn the power on.....I don't know where I could of went wrong

How about with your original post for starters? Then go hook your Gyre back up, turn it on and turn it up past 50% if you can without getting wet. Then try all the modes available,. Did you even try the Gyre mode? Waaaaay freaking cool!!
I'm just giving you a hard time, but you really did miss something for sure. These pumps are great. This coming from someone who ran Vortech for 4yrs :)

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about with your original post for starters? Then go hook your Gyre back up, turn it on and turn it up past 50% if you can without getting wet. Then try all the modes available,. Did you even try the Gyre mode? Waaaaay freaking cool!!
I'm just giving you a hard time, but you really did miss something for sure. These pumps are great. This coming from someone who ran Vortech for 4yrs :)

You must like giving me a hard time. I have it at 100% 2 inches from the top of the tank it is powerful close to it but when it gets to the end of my 4ft tank there's just not much left I'm not sure if it's my aquascape or what, I have a BIG flat rock on the opposite that may be interfering with it. Or maybe I have it put together wrong. I did have trouble initially with one side not spinning but I fixed that so I dunno.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would contact coralview, there has to be something wrong. They have great customer service. I have a 150 on my 4ft long tank and the flow is pretty wild on the other side of the tank and even across the entire bottom.

SaltwaterAq

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd go with one Gyre and one MP40. Best of both worlds. Apex/Gyre control will happen sometime.

bsstover

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running two MP40s on my 150gal and have just ordered the Gyre. I will be able to see firsthand if it provides the water motion described by others (I'm hopeful). I do feel that likely I will need to get two gyres running on opposite ends of my tank to keep my SPS happy. If needed I will run on my Apex alternating the two gyres, which is exactly what I'm doing now with my MP40's. So although they are more "controllable" out of the package than the Gyre, I feel once hooked up to an Apex or other system you will have comparable control, at least based on how I'm running them it will be equal.

deerhunter06

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's obvious you did not know how to operate the Gyre correctly. To say the flow is weak, is totally ridiculous! There are way to many videos that prove their power, so your statement is a bit of an exaggeration to say the least.
Yes, I'm running the Gyre. [emoji2]

ummmmmmmmmmm turns out you were 100% right......This thing is insane. I had the fins on the wrong sides which was also creating my air bubble problem in my tank. Anyways i switched them and i literally cant turn the thing up past 50% in my 4ft 120g tank with out blowing every single coral around wowzers what a huge differnce. Sorry nana! Gyre is a beast!

bsstover

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I hooked my gyre 150 up on my tank and played around with it last night. I will say I am overly impressed with the water movement from this thing. I am running a RSM 650 that has 4 recirculation pumps in the back and I was running two MP40Wes on both sides of the tank. All these pumps are turned off and have the gyre running at 60% and have more turning water than with all 6 of those pumps running. The power bill will surely drop now. I am actually thinking of selling my two MP40s and get one more of the gyre to put on opposite side of the tank and alternate them with my Apex. This is just more for the cool factor than need though because this single gyre is doing well enough on its own. I'd have no hesitation recommending the gyre.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back