My acans are struggling

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
They have always looked great. For the last 2 months my acans haven't been opening up. I sent in a triton ICP test and everything came back good- all in the green zone. I'll post screenshots if it helps.
My current parameters stay real stable.
Par- around 100
Alk-8.4-8.6
Cal-460
Mag-1418
N03- 14.6
Po4-.04-.07
I calibrated my Hanna salinity checker and I was at 34.6 but the ICP came back 36.1. I recalibrated the Hanna and it still shows 34.x. so I'm still keeping it there.
The only thing I've really done to the tank was a fluconazole treatment for like 46 days. First a single first then a double dose. It's been about 10 days since I ended the treatment with a big water change and added carbon. Throughout the treatment I kept all parameters stable.
I lost some SPS throughout this time. Monti digis and cap, anacropora, and a sty. My hammers, one torch and Cyphastreas look great still.
It's hard for me to gauge flow. I have four points of flow but everything turned down real low. The tank is a Max E170.
1000000450.jpg

1000000449.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 months seems to be a long time for this but any fish or inverts bothering them?
Your parameters look fine I dont think its that.
How long have you had them?
I know you said its hard to tell how much flow they are getting but has the flow been consistent from the time they were placed in the tank? You havent moved power heads or changed the flow patterns since adding them?

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 months seems to be a long time for this but any fish or inverts bothering them?
Your parameters look fine I dont think its that.
How long have you had them?
I know you said its hard to tell how much flow they are getting but has the flow been consistent from the time they were placed in the tank? You havent moved power heads or changed the flow patterns since adding them?
I've had them around 2 years. I haven't seen anything picking on them. Last night I saw some guts coming out of some poylps. Sometimes I see white "balls" on them but not on the poylps themselves. I moved a power head a week ago trying to see if maybe they were getting too much flow. Flow is the hardest for me because there's nothing to measure it.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them around 2 years. I haven't seen anything picking on them. Last night I saw some guts coming out of some poylps. Sometimes I see white "balls" on them but not on the poylps themselves. I moved a power head a week ago trying to see if maybe they were getting too much flow. Flow is the hardest for me because there's nothing to measure it.
If they were happy for 2 years I doubt its too much flow. Maybe not enough, power heads decline in output after some time. Regular cleaning is a must, not saying you dont do that. Also the constant running of them wears them out. I read something somewhere years ago that showed a flow decrease of 20% or more in the first couple years of quite a few major brands of power heads and return pumps. I dont think this is the answer for you and I am far from an expert in anything. Sorry I am not a lot of help and from what you posted I dont think you are doing anything wrong.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just give it time, it sounds like that treatment was very tough on your corals. It looks pretty rough, so it will take time to heal, weeks or perhaps months.

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans love strong flow. I remember reading that they grow where the waves break.
Mine were doing great until I got a CBB that ate them all.

OP
OP
Pvtgloss

Pvtgloss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The red acan started opening up some. The green one looks just as bad as its been looking. But today when the lights went out I noticed that one of the polyps mouth is wide open to where I can see inside. Every thing has been stable. Any ideas?
Edit: just finished my testing. Everything is very stable.
alk-8.49
Cal-453
Mag-1404
No3- 17.7
p04- .04
salt-34.6
I am dosing elima NP and using a little of phosban to keep po4 in check. But po4 had been stable from .04-.07 so I'm thinking I'm not starving them. I haven't spot fed them since this started for fear of irritating them more.
1000000509.jpg
1000000508.jpg

Last edited:
Back