My Algae Turf Scrubber Build

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I am using.

looks great ! thanks ... i will be setting one up here in the next few weeks and i think i just found the lights i want to use ! love the box idea , is that the first cleaning oif the screen ?

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to jump in and say that this is not a recommended light. Seen many use it and have fielded many questions. 14w / 225 LEDs = 0.06 w/ LED, these are not high-power and don't have enough intensity to grow thick GHA. They will undoubtedly grow algae, but they have no "punch", they can't drive the light through the surface of growth. They really can't be relied on for any more than a 1 cube/day scrubber due to this, and that's double sided (like Windy's build).

You might get a decent layer of green, but it will be only under conservative feeding conditions, and it will never get very thick. That's based on what others experienced over time. It's an attractive fixture initially but you really need LEDs that require heat sinking, they are much better intensity wise, and are also likely the proper color spectrum. LP LEDs are going to be all over the board on spectrum.

Last edited:

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i need to jump in and say that this is not a recommended light. Seen many use it and have fielded many questions. 14w / 225 leds = 0.06 w/ led, these are not high-power and don't have enough intensity to grow thick gha. They will undoubtedly grow algae, but they have no "punch", they can't drive the light through the surface of growth. They really can't be relied on for any more than a 1 cube/day scrubber due to this, and that's double sided (like windy's build).

You might get a decent layer of green, but it will be only under conservative feeding conditions, and it will never get very thick. That's based on what others experienced over time. It's an attractive fixture initially but you really need leds that require heat sinking, they are much better intensity wise, and are also likely the proper color spectrum. Lp leds are going to be all over the board on spectrum.

thanks for the advise and input , what would you recommend then ?

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Floyd,

Why not say this in your scrubber thread? I even asked you about lighting. Well we will see if you know what you are talking about.

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way, I first built an algae scrubber in the 90's. It was 2' square and the screen was horizontal. I used two 250 watt standard bulbs. It was very effective.

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advise and input , what would you recommend then ?

It depends on your setup, but if LED, I recommend Luxeon ES 660nm Deep Reds from Steve's or Rapid and place them between 2 and 4" from the screen mounted in a square pattern with the LEDs either 2 or 4" on center. I have a more in depth "guideline" that I came up with but that's essentially it, really. 9 hrs/day. You can run at 350mA or 700mA, usually 350 is good for starting growth and then 700 once you get a base and the growth can handle more intensity. Starting at 700 is fine too but if the screen won't start, or stays white, back off the light or run at lower current.

Floyd,

Why not say this in your scrubber thread? I even asked you about lighting. Well we will see if you know what you are talking about.

I haven't had a chance to really update the "algae scrubber basics" in quite a while, and that thread here hasn't been very active. The last time I update the Basics was right when LED really came into it's own right for scrubbers. This light fixture has been covered many time though on the long RC thread, as well as several times on the algae scrubber site, if you search enough.

My LED's are 3W/12 = .25W/LED. I guess we'll soon see how they'll perform.

If you have 3W LEDs and you have 12 of them then that's 3 x 12 = 36W. My calculation of 0.06 w/led was based on total fixture wattage (14 Watts) divided my the quantity of LED (225) or 14/225 = 0.06222 watts per LED.

OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 3 watt tubes with 12 LEDs per tube. So, it's 9 watts total with 36 LEds total which ends up at .25 watts per LED.

OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 12's Growth

20140724_174721_zps8a79c461.jpg

A close up of the darkest area. To me, it's looking green.

20140724_174807_zpsbfa155aa.jpg

dbg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, labas39. How are you liking that enclosure? I'm looking at it right now on the containerstore website. A LOT cheaper than acrylic. Do you think you'll keep using it, or is it really too brittle... one of your first posts (#5) said you were worried about the pressure pushing the 1/2' PVC out?

OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome, labas39. How are you liking that enclosure? I'm looking at it right now on the containerstore website. A LOT cheaper than acrylic. Do you think you'll keep using it, or is it really too brittle... one of your first posts (#5) said you were worried about the pressure pushing the 1/2' PVC out?

Frankly, that container is holding up well. If it did break, however, it would be catastrophic! Because of that, I'm going to replace it. I did see a thread yesterday where a guy used a clear plastic mail holder like you see realtors put on for sale signs where they fill with the details about the house for sale. (I can't find that post again.)

My concern about the PVC being pushed out was from the pressure of the water from the pump and so far, the PVC has stayed in the bulkhead. I wasn't concerned about the container.

OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Day 13's Growth

20140725_181551_zpscefe373f.jpg

Super close up! I thought I saw green!

20140725_181627_zpsd89ed9eb.jpg

One thing to note is that my pH the last three days has been higher than before. 8.20 during the day.

BOWHUNTER4250

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it depends on your setup, but if led, i recommend luxeon es 660nm deep reds from steve's or rapid and place them between 2 and 4" from the screen mounted in a square pattern with the leds either 2 or 4" on center. I have a more in depth "guideline" that i came up with but that's essentially it, really. 9 hrs/day. You can run at 350ma or 700ma, usually 350 is good for starting growth and then 700 once you get a base and the growth can handle more intensity. Starting at 700 is fine too but if the screen won't start, or stays white, back off the light or run at lower current.

I haven't had a chance to really update the "algae scrubber basics" in quite a while, and that thread here hasn't been very active. The last time i update the basics was right when led really came into it's own right for scrubbers. This light fixture has been covered many time though on the long rc thread, as well as several times on the algae scrubber site, if you search enough.

If you have 3w leds and you have 12 of them then that's 3 x 12 = 36w. My calculation of 0.06 w/led was based on total fixture wattage (14 watts) divided my the quantity of led (225) or 14/225 = 0.06222 watts per led.

ok .... Floyd :
Looking at those red led's from steve's led , if i have a 24 x 9 screen that i want to light from both sides , how many led's would i need ? Other components to put this all together ? Im not technical when it comes to electrical .. But if you could help me out and tell me what i need to order i can get it put together ??

Thanks

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.algaescrubbing.com/threads/algae-scrubber-basics.264/

LED Grow Lights for Algae Scrubbers

The LEDs that you want to use for growing algae on an Algae Scrubber are the exact fixtures that are used to grow plants. There are different plant-growth fixtures available, and some are not what you want. ‘Flowering’ lamps have a lot of variety of lamp types that you do not need.

OP
OP
L

labas39

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back