My budget Cube

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameter readings are good.

What kind of auto top off are you'all using? There is about a Liter water loss thru evoporation a day.

Got to stop surfing R2R; way too many temptaton of good deal. Just brought a pack from Mr. Coral that shoud fill up the cube quick :D
looking good... :)

as for ATO, I would recommend the Tunze Osmo... been using it for a few years with no issues... :)

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Marvin; definately will check out Tunze.

I was looking at the CoralVue 12V Electronic Top-off Float Switch. Not familiar with it; but the price point is really good. Anyone with experience on this?

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I am within budget. Just waiting for one pack of sps to finish this up. Here is what it looks like after the arrival of zoas
Front
P5250006.jpg

Left
P5250007.jpg

FTS
P5250008.jpg

Pickup a Tunze 6045 cheap. I was going to do skimmerless; but got a great deal on the New CPR Aeroforce Recirculating skimmer. Gonna give it a shot

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, thx to Mr. Coral my cube is furnished. All I need to do now is to grow these out :D

Closeup shot
P5270001.jpg

Front
P5270002.jpg

Left
P5270003.jpg

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My bi-monthly update :D

Installed CPR Areo Force skimmer last week. The micro-bubble has finally gone away.
P6140005.jpg

The two new residents from ORA (misbar clowns)
P6140008.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is been 3 months; so much for my monthly update :wink:

Here is a FTS. Can't seem to get rid of the algae on the back wall. So, I setup a cheapy GFO Reactor..
FTS_Sep_1.jpg

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$10 for the canister, $12 for a AquaLifter - my GFO reactor

Reactor.jpg

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this build it is proof you don't need to spend thousands of dollars for a quality tank.

DrTerro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2cents. The tom filter canister is going to give you a lot of problems. First is the o ring, and second is build up. I would take it out. Tank looks great. When I first started looking, I was wondering with no skimmer, no sump, or HOB filter how you were going to deal with that, other then a 50percent; water change every 2-3 days. Have fun. Take care

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mistakenly put in 1/2 gallon Kalk top off water during a water change :eek:oh: (**** it was salt water) Lucky for me corals are recovering :neutral:

Here are some pix

Front
OldPixs003.jpg

Right
OldPixs005.jpg

Left
OldPixs004.jpg

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx DrTerro, just removed the canister. Great call; it was leaking a bit - thanks for the headsup :D

Just my 2cents. The tom filter canister is going to give you a lot of problems. First is the o ring, and second is build up. I would take it out. Tank looks great. When I first started looking, I was wondering with no skimmer, no sump, or HOB filter how you were going to deal with that, other then a 50percent; water change every 2-3 days. Have fun. Take care

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear u :D this hobby can be costly. There are so many wonderful toys; sometime it is tough to resist......

Love this build it is proof you don't need to spend thousands of dollars for a quality tank.

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice cube. Couple of concerns: How are you going to filter the water? Maybe it's the photos but I don't see an overflow. Of course, you can "filter" the water with regular water changes and probably not need any filtration, but you'll have to be diligent. Your rockwork looks to be too close to the sides, making it difficult to clean the glass, particularly when you get some coral growth. Your sand looks rather coarse, meaning it will tend to trap detritus. You'll want to make sure you stir that upper surface when doing water changes to prevent it from becoming a problem.

On the positive side, it's a great looking tank. Cubes are a great configuration. Tagging along on this to see how it goes.

Gary

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gary thanks for the feedback. I am using this skimmer and pulling out about 1qt of dark skimmate a week. Just start Vokda dosing about 2 months ago along with MB7.

P6140005.jpg

I am doing a bi-weekly 4 gallon water change and siphon the bottom once a week. Not too much detritus since the bio load is very low. I am debating whether to pull all the sand or not. There are about 2" of space around the rockwork. Only Zoa/Poly are going on the side; all sps will be in the middle.

I really enjoy this cube; very little work compare to my other tanks :D

Nice cube. Couple of concerns: How are you going to filter the water? Maybe it's the photos but I don't see an overflow. Of course, you can "filter" the water with regular water changes and probably not need any filtration, but you'll have to be diligent. Your rockwork looks to be too close to the sides, making it difficult to clean the glass, particularly when you get some coral growth. Your sand looks rather coarse, meaning it will tend to trap detritus. You'll want to make sure you stir that upper surface when doing water changes to prevent it from becoming a problem.

On the positive side, it's a great looking tank. Cubes are a great configuration. Tagging along on this to see how it goes.

Gary

OP
OP
Hogall

Hogall

Yes, that's me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan Update

The color is getting better, got some growth. I am happy with it. Can't believe it's been three months. Here are some pix

Front View
P1310003.jpg

Right Side
P1310004.jpg

Left Side
P1310002.jpg

Back