My constant Hewbie battle!

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hewbie bit me today when I tried to grab him to inspect further which was totally my fault lol! He got mad at me. So I have this constant battle of him glass surfing and getting rub marks. One heals rather quickly and then another appears. I notice he sleeps upside down with his body smooshed against the glass as well. He gets bored easily and I can’t be with him all the time. They don’t get infected and I’ve medicated multiple times and I mean I have added a wide range of medication at different times and soak his food. He has always glass surfed but for some reason within the last month or two he’s been getting these rub marks. Ugh. I know it’s common with them. Who else has a puffer that just does this? I’ve thought about covering the sides of the tank which I’ve done before that just means he glass surfs on the front. When his tank was in a room that got more foot traffic he did it slightly less now he’s in the basement with one small window and I feel like that doesn’t help. I can confirm it’s him chasing his reflection since I had him living in a giant tote for a bit after the tank leaked and he never rubbed up against it and would swim around all day in the tote. I get worried about him. It doesn’t affect his appetite or his mood. I still do worry/feel bad though.:(
IMG_2449.jpeg

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a lemonpeel angelfish, a bristletooth tang, and melanarus wrasse! And maybe a soon to be yellow tail tamarin wrasse along with some anthias.
Huh he just must do it cause he likes when he sees you! The puffer I had for a little did that but never touched the glass. I miss him super fun and cute fish :(

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Huh he just must do it cause he likes when he sees you! The puffer I had for a little did that but never touched the glass. I miss him super fun and cute fish :(
Yes he does that too and when he sees food! But also when I’m not in the room I have a camera on him. I’m sorry! I hope you get another one they are amazing fish.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes he does that too and when he sees food! But also when I’m not in the room I have a camera on him. I’m sorry! I hope you get another one they are amazing fish.
Thinking about it! But I love the posts about Hewbie :)

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awww sorry to hear Hewbie is still having a hard time! :( Funny thought - but have you tried leaving the TV on for Hewbie? Kidding/ not kidding haha but seriously people always talk about doing it for dogs… maybe Hewbie will be happy with the visual human company?! just throwing it out there in case you have a TV in the room already! hehe you never know! lol

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
awww sorry to hear Hewbie is still having a hard time! :( Funny thought - but have you tried leaving the TV on for Hewbie? Kidding/ not kidding haha but seriously people always talk about doing it for dogs… maybe Hewbie will be happy with the visual human company?! just throwing it out there in case you have a TV in the room already! hehe you never know! lol
I have done this and it only works for a bit before he goes back to obsessing over himself.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just did a fw dip on him and I believe he has flukes which would explain the rubbing! I think he’s feeling better too!:)
Awe poor guy! Hope he gets better. Love following this fish :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes a lemonpeel angelfish, a bristletooth tang, and melanarus wrasse! And maybe a soon to be yellow tail tamarin wrasse along with some anthias.

If you are constantly battling with this puffer, and reef keeping in general, you shouldn't even consider a Yellow Tail Tamarin. It is flagged expert only for a reason and I'm not sure you fall into that category today. This is one of those fish that you should order through a collector such that you get quality up front to include quarantine, eating, and of course shipping. I would probably reach out to Marine Collectors for example to start.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you are constantly battling with this puffer, and reef keeping in general, you shouldn't even consider a Yellow Tail Tamarin. It is flagged expert only for a reason and I'm not sure you fall into that category today. This is one of those fish that you should order through a collector such that you get quality up front to include quarantine, eating, and of course shipping. I would probably reach out to Marine Collectors for example to start.
He chases his reflection excessively. He isn’t sick and I did quarantine him when I first got him and dose a wide variety of medications/vitamins. Him chasing his reflection is beyond my control. He’s always done it but as mentioned it does seem worse after he moved tanks I’ve come to the realization that it’s a Hewbie thingl. So I thought it was flukes I really did but after further discussion with someone he has no little dots or spots on him. I realized if he had them after the dip I would’ve been able to see him on it before and after and that wasn’t the case. The little specs in the water I believe now are dust, salt, etc. only because I have never seen any spots on Hewbie and all other fish are acting fine. He eats like a beast and breaths normally and is very personable when I walk in the room so I’ve concluded that he just chases his reflection excessively and it is a repeated motion vs scratching or flashing. And from my understanding the yellow tail tamarin wrasse is difficult because of diet and preference towards live foods. I do however know people who have kept them successfully. I’m looking for one confirmed eating and someone who is able to hold it for a bit. I had the same thing with Hewbie when I first got him. He wouldn’t eat at all and went on a hunger strike and was only eating live foods.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So an update after the fact. I actually do just believe him glass surfing is a Hewbie thing not flukes. While yes I did dip him out of precaution. He’s never had any spots on him and no changes. I really do think it’s Hewbie chasing his reflection and from what I’ve heard it’s a very common pufferfish thing. Although Hewbie does it excessively.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an update after the fact. I actually do just believe him glass surfing is a Hewbie thing not flukes. While yes I did dip him out of precaution. He’s never had any spots on him and no changes. I really do think it’s Hewbie chasing his reflection and from what I’ve heard it’s a very common pufferfish thing. Although Hewbie does it excessively.
I dont think her issue with Hewbie shows anything about her not being a good enough aquarist for a yellow tail in my opinion. I think shes just got a very quirky puffer (what puffer isnt?) not that she us struggling keeping a reef or keeping Hewbie. From following her posts I think she would be okay to get a yellow tail as she does research and is constantly on any changes with Hewbie. Some individual fish you might struggle with more than others due to personality. Like my lionfish Nala fot example is the strangest lion in that she doesnt like big chunks of food so I have to cut her food in little tiny pieces and let it float in the water column for her. Thats not a usual problem people have with lions once eating frozen shes just quirky. Doesnt mean Im struggling to keep Nala or other fish labeled expert (have a PBT and regal angel that are thriving in my other tank), shes very healthy and I just have to work around her individual quirk. I feel this way with her and Hewbie. Just my opinion though happy reefing :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think her issue with Hewbie shows anything about her not being a good enough aquarist for a yellow tail in my opinion. I think shes just got a very quirky puffer (what puffer isnt?) not that she us struggling keeping a reef or keeping Hewbie. From following her posts I think she would be okay to get a yellow tail as she does research and is constantly on any changes with Hewbie. Some individual fish you might struggle with more than others due to personality. Like my lionfish Nala fot example is the strangest lion in that she doesnt like big chunks of food so I have to cut her food in little tiny pieces and let it float in the water column for her. Thats not a usual problem people have with lions once eating frozen shes just quirky. Doesnt mean Im struggling to keep Nala or other fish labeled expert (have a PBT and regal angel that are thriving in my other tank), shes very healthy and I just have to work around her individual quirk. I feel this way with her and Hewbie. Just my opinion though happy reefing :)

Yeah, I guess you are right. Fresh water dip and a round of meds that may, or may not, have been necessary. Still hard to tell from this thread and I didn't mention getting bit. I know it may come across a bit rough around the edges but really why jump in to expert fish regardless of why they are tagged as such so soon? Besides it would have a better chance with a mature display not to mention sourcing a quality animal which means one is paying a premium.

Why rush is what I'm wondering.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yellow tail tamarin wrasses are many levels more difficult than a regal angel or a powder blue tang. I don't think this particular aquarist has any business purchasing a yellow tail tamarin wrasse.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back