My DIY LED build retrofit into RSM 250 stock hood

thedru13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to upgrade to LED’s in my RSM250. I wanted to keep the stock hood. I had never done anything like this before and knew very little about lighting. I did lots of reading and research and still just made some uneducated decisions. I found some posts of people that did some similar builds with some of the stuff I bought so gave me some context and spoke with various vendors on some of the LEDs I bought. So here is my build. Not sure if the result is the best for the types of corals I plan to keep since I am rebuilding my tank now but time will tell. I plan on upgrading my controller from the Storm X to a bluefish controller since I like the ability of having it on my phone and it being wifi..

I got all my parts late last week and now starting to wire everything up. I am going to use the heat sink that is in my hood now.

My Build List

1x coralux 5up ldd driver board

1x storm x led controller (buddy gave this to me)

2 x cree lumia 5.2 - 70w full spectrum 5 channel cree led

3x meanwell ldd-700h led driver

2x meanwell ldd-1000h led driver

1x 250w 48v 5.2A DC Power Supply

Benched tested the LEDs and got everything hooked up.

Everything....

5up board with drivers installed

Controller and 5.2 LED

Power Supply.

LEDs Bench tested and this is at 1% power

The Rats nest of wiring. Here is where I have to figure out how to make this clean. I have tried a few different things.

So after trying a few different wiring methods grabbed an old Honda Wiring Harness. I wired it for the LEDs. so 10 wires 5 positive 5 negative. This way I can just plug and unplug when installing.

So this is what I have thus far. So things I still need to do/make/buy. I am looking for some sort of enclosure for the power supply. I am also looking for something to put the 5up driver board in and where to mount the controller. I want this clean looking if I can and if needed just plug and play. Since my tank is all in one I would most likely have to install in the cabinet under the tank. So looking for any opinions, comments, and or concerns with my approach. Thanks everyone.[/QUOTE]

So Getting a bit more creative now. Grabbed an PC enclosure.. Mounted the Powersupply in there and will mount the 5up as well. I will have the enclosure for the 5 up tomorrow then will mount in the box as well. Will mount the Storm X seperate. Testing the powersupply now making sure I am getting good airflow and no heat issues.... Pics

OP
OP
T

thedru13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Enclosed the drivers.

de3y7yhy.jpg

aqy9ypyp.jpg

quzenyre.jpg

hyqysu8a.jpg

Box is mounted in the PC Case. Everything is mounted and box is done. Need to figure out where to mount the controller and now comes the task of installing the LEDs in the hood. Worried about this part. I am using my existing heat sink so not sure how much drilling I am going to have to do.

This is the back. I don't like the plastic loom but all i had on hand so just used it up.

OP
OP
T

thedru13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic came out blurry..

Wow this was not a great night. Got the hood ripped apart and cleaned up. Pulled the heat sink and let's just say broke 5 drill bits and 2 taps. Really had to improvise on this. Hopefully it won't effect anything. Mounted the LEDs to the heatsink and tested. Everything seems to work. Hopefully will finish up tomorrow. Just need to solder the wires and do some cable management and mount the hood inside. Pics of late night progress

udage7e8.jpg

e7e5eraz.jpg

a5ymy5a9.jpg

ba9edyre.jpg

vuvymada.jpg

aqyhyby9.jpg

Not sure why I can't edit posts but any case.. Finished everything up. Only thing I am waiting to do is mount the controller Installed the lights in the hood and ITS WORKING!!

Question.. What are people setting there channels to as far as power on the Storm X.. Right now I have 1-5 all set at 350 and then placed in Auto mode. Looking for some suggestions.. Here are the final pics and results.. Lights had been off for a day so corals were just starting to open will have to snap some better pics after the lights had been on for a bit.

Tucked the wires in..

Installed in the hood.

Hood on the tank.. Ready to go

It Lights up!!!

Need to do some cable management and mount the controller

Need to get some betting pics of the tank but what it’s looking like at the moment

OP
OP
T

thedru13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That is amazing.
Thanks
Nice work! I like your wiring harness idea :)
Was driving me nuts trying to make a water proof harness and one i could easily just pull apart when I wanted to remove the hood. So i was doing some wiring on my buddies car and it clicked. Car harness... its water proof... You can pin them to work in anyway you want and easy to wire and water proof. and oh FREE!!!! So if anyone wants one or wants to know how I did it feel free to ask. More than happy to share or make them. Worked out perfect.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back