My first attempt raising clownfish

laughing tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReeferMadness09 I had seen references to that food and saw it was not available anymore. I do know that Andrew Keskes from SeaPuppies FL is working on commercializing a food; he used to breed clownfish (https://www.instagram.com/seapuppiesfl/). We had to do flatworm treatment in our display tank and the clowns are no longer breeding, but that's OK. We wanted some offspring of Mrs C and Mr W and we got some!

It's a bummer your Bali's are giving you such a headache. They are so beautiful. It's also good to hear your experiences with lighting and how often you feed. I've been feeding 5 times purely out of inertia - like you did with the lighting - they are doing well so why change it. And in my case, there's just absolutely no information on how to raise them after meta. It seems all the documentation focuses on getting the larvae through to meta, and then there's a big vacuum on how to proceed after that. So I'm glad you hear they did fine with 2/day feedings after 30 days. It's a lot of work to feed 5 times a day since I siphon the food out every time after that. It becomes a long day. So I think I can start looking at reducing some (I also have a lot of wasted food this way).

I'm not sure if mine are growing fast. My impression is that the percularis hybrids are slow to mature, although there is not much documentation beyond Sanjay's Joshi's Photons. Attached a bit of video from yesterday DPH 37. Thanks again for your input. My next steps will be at day 45 to start raising salinity (they will remain at 1.019 until then), shortening the light "wake" and "sleep" ramp down/up to an hour at some point, and to lengthen their lights off. Currently it's at 6.30 hours. So more milestones to be had. My worry is that they will start picking on each other and what to do at that point. I have acclimation boxes at the ready but that is not something I am looking forward to. I really enjoy their patterns and colors. Not sure if the video loads if it's attached, lmk if it doesn't.

Attachments

• 2024-04-26 10.22.09.mp4
    49.8 MB

laughing tang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a cute picture of one of the fry today DPH 39. Very cool patterns.

Attachments

• PXL_20240428_193436390.jpg
    PXL_20240428_193436390.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 5

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back