OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia is zero but my nitrite and nitrates are still through the roof is there a supplement I can add to help the bacteria form I have has the lights off maybe I should turn them on please give me advice

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're fine. The bacteria is there. You know it is because of the presence of nitrites after ammonia. Now it's just a waiting game. You really don't need lights at this point. It'll just grow algae. This part is the hardest because it seems to last forever and it's as exciting as watching paint dry but it'll be over sooner than you think. Just be patient and keep testing your water. Don't add anything. As a general practice, you're better off to just stick to water changes. Most anything else you can add is unnecessary and can lead to real trouble. Your trusty lfs of course will tell you otherwise but don't fall into that trap. If you ever do start dosing, you must also test the parameters of whatever you dose to make sure you don't overdose. Water chemistry is the most important factor in the success of an aquarium and often the most abused and neglected. At this point, yours is on its way to perfection. Just let it ride...

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been over a month and my nitrite and nitrates still haven't come down any ideas no fish in the tank no cuc nothing but rock and sand any ideas I am thinking about grabbing a bag of live sand and a piece of love rock since I am useing bull reef supply dry Fiji any thoughts are greatly appreciated

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410550320.336395.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410550343.926320.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410550370.009877.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1410550396.128079.jpg

Diatoms ?

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can start water changes if you haven't already. 10-20%/week. If you still have nitrites then you just need to wait longer. As soon as nitrites fall to 0, you can add cuc. There's no need to add more sand or rock. You already added live rock and have the bacteria building from it. It's just a waiting game now. Patience will pay off.

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have tested and so has the guy at my lfs the tests are accurate

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put some new live sand in the refuge area borrowed a buddy's live rock just a small piece

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put some new live sand in the refuge area borrowed a buddy's live rock just a small piece
Just sit tight now. Adding more will cause die off which will start a new cycle and slow your progress. It's just a waiting game now. You can do water changes but there is little else you can do to accelerate things. Now would be a good time to take on another project. Rebuild your engine, remodel your house, invent time travel...

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just sit tight now. Adding more will cause die off which will start a new cycle and slow your progress. It's just a waiting game now. You can do water changes but there is little else you can do to accelerate things. Now would be a good time to take on another project. Rebuild your engine, remodel your house, invent time travel...

+1. The wait will be very worth it. Just curious, how high are the nitrates?

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxed out the API nitrite test but my nitrates fell a little after doing a five gallon water change

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maxed out the API nitrite test but my nitrates fell a little after doing a five gallon water change

You'll probably want to wait on water changes until your ammonia and nitrites register at 0. Changing water before that will only stretch out your cycle.

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The nitrogen cycle starts with die off which creates ammonia. Ammonia is consumed by bacteria and the byproduct is nitrite. Nitrite is then consumed and the byproduct is nitrate. The reason you're reading zero ammonia is because it's being consumed as quickly as it's being produced. You're still reading nitrites because there is still more ammonia being processed into nitrites than the bacteria can handle so it's creating an abundance of nitrites. You're waiting right now for the bacteria levels to fall into balance, and for the die off to slow. Water changes at this time can help by removing some of the excess, but ultimately the bacteria levels need to build to match your bio load and there is no short cutting that. You can continue the water changes and just realize (sorry I didn't explain this better sooner) that your end point is still the same either way, meaning that if you read 0 nitrites and ammonia sooner by way of water changes, you need to stock exceedingly slow to allow for your tank to adjust to any changes you make in your bio load. My advice to start changing your water was simply to get your nitrites under control a little quicker so you can start adding cuc slowly. It won't get fish in the water any faster for the reasons I just listed. There are some really good drawings and explanations of the nitrogen cycle you can find just by searching the web for the term "nitrogen cycle". I recommend reading up on it... I find the chemistry piece of our hobby fascinating and empowering. Any way, stay your course, you're getting there!

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got the cycle all done added some cuc 5 hermit crabs 2 turbo snails and a sand sifting star I haven't seen since I put him in I also added a yellow tang that was about a week ago then the guys at my lfs offered me a deal I couldn't resist so I got a couple ska frags that have been in there for two days doing great my skimmer seems to be making big bubbles in the collection cup any ideas how to stop this I messed with setting it at all sorts of different levels will post pictures in a second

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your skimmer new? It could be a damaged pinwheel, the presence of something in your water like lotion or soap from putting your hands in the tank, or it could just be the normal function of your skimmer which might just need adjustment. pics would help. Also, I notice that sometimes after adding a new filter sock, carbon, or other additives, it goes a little bonkers for a while. Have you added anything to your tank?

OP
OP
weissenfluh

weissenfluh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is new I cleaned the filter socks a while ago but has been doing this since I stuck it in saltwater
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411436019.006165.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411436039.678616.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411436071.421650.jpg
[

ATTACH]179913[/ATTACH]

What gets rid of this brown stuff on the sand like I said I got a sand sifting star haven't seen him since I put him in there

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411436087.412127.jpg
    ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411436087.412127.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 75

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer appears to be functioning correctly. Skimmers work by aerating the water. Organic matter in the water create higher surface tension so the air doesn't escape and it creates foam. The level of foam builds in the tube then spills over the top and collects in the cup to remove the organic waste. You can adjust the output on your skimmer to raise and lower the water level inside the tube so that the foam starts building while it's still in the tube. That's what I see in the pic. Am I missing something?
The brown stuff is diatoms. Diatoms usually appear after your cycle and will go away on their own provided they don't have a source of excessive silicates. Silicates can be introduced to a tank by using the wrong kind of substrate and by using tap water. Substrate that is notorious for silicates/diatoms is silica sand/play sand from the hardware store. Hopefully you used aragonite or crushed coral and not the hardware store special. Assuming that's the case, and you're not using tap water, then just stay your course and the diatoms will dissipate over the next week or two.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back