My first reef aquarium (60X30X35 cm - 60L)

Andersonreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm starting my first reef aquarium, and I've been researching a lot about corals, fishes, lights, and such; it is a never-ending, exciting learning process. At the moment, I have a 60x30x35cm-60L tank, and I've decided on a reef aquarium. Therefore, I have many questions; first of all, with the setup, I was thinking about getting an Askoll Pratiko 200 3.0 for the filtration (I wonder if it's enough or if I would also need an Amtra Skimmer Surface) with a heater. A SmartFarm 95W (I wonder if this would create a spotlight effect that wouldn't be convenient for the overall reef) for the lighting, the Carib Sea Ocean Direct Live Sand for the substrate (I was seriously considering setting an anoxic filtration system since I've heard it's great for the long term care filtration process), and Carib Sea live rock or Nature's Ocean Saltwater Coral Base Rock. I'm considering after some time (I don't know how much yet), I should start adding a couple of corals (I'm wondering which one I should start with: zoanthus, euphyllia, diploastrea, favia, Clavularia, plerogyra) and an anemone. Finally, I would like to add a pair of clownfish and maybe a Firefish, but I wonder if an Amphiprion Ocellaris will go along with an Amphiprion Ocellaris Percula. With all this, I'm wondering if I'm following the proper steps and how much time between adding the rocks, corals, anemones, and fish should wait and if I should reconsider or change a few things, considering that my budget is around 650 euros.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first add a clean up crew and wait until some of the uglies go away before adding coral.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I'm starting my first reef aquarium, and I've been researching a lot about corals, fishes, lights, and such; it is a never-ending, exciting learning process. At the moment, I have a 60x30x35cm-60L tank, and I've decided on a reef aquarium. Therefore, I have many questions; first of all, with the setup, I was thinking about getting an Askoll Pratiko 200 3.0 for the filtration (I wonder if it's enough or if I would also need an Amtra Skimmer Surface) with a heater. A SmartFarm 95W (I wonder if this would create a spotlight effect that wouldn't be convenient for the overall reef) for the lighting, the Carib Sea Ocean Direct Live Sand for the substrate (I was seriously considering setting an anoxic filtration system since I've heard it's great for the long term care filtration process), and Carib Sea live rock or Nature's Ocean Saltwater Coral Base Rock. I'm considering after some time (I don't know how much yet), I should start adding a couple of corals (I'm wondering which one I should start with: zoanthus, euphyllia, diploastrea, favia, Clavularia, plerogyra) and an anemone. Finally, I would like to add a pair of clownfish and maybe a Firefish, but I wonder if an Amphiprion Ocellaris will go along with an Amphiprion Ocellaris Percula. With all this, I'm wondering if I'm following the proper steps and how much time between adding the rocks, corals, anemones, and fish should wait and if I should reconsider or change a few things, considering that my budget is around 650 euros.
Start looking thru the build threads here. There are tons of coral you can add to a tank they day it is cycled and you add your first fish. Tho most people will tell you wait 6 months for coral, Zoa's and Paly's are great additions right away with your first fish. But I am talking maybe a pair of infant clowns and a 5head zoa frag, maybe 2 zoa frags. This is not going to make your tank look populated at all, but that is ok. In a month if you tank parameters are stable you can add another fish, and another frag or 2 of coral.

If you do your due diligence and research, you can have a beautiful colorful tank in just a month of two of having set it up. It's all about knowing which coral can handle nutrient spikes and which cannot. Zoa's and Leathers are very hardy. They tolerate nutrient swings very well for example. Acro's do not tolerate swings, and neither do a lot of torches/hammers/octo/frogspawn.

The one mistake most make with new tanks/ new to fish keeping is they over-feed. If you have a lot of nitrate and phos, you are over feeding. this promotes ugly algae growth.

Good Luck,. maybe make a build thread :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back