ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1714838657293.png

Hold my wine glass….
Ok. I’m going to ask that you not post random stuff on my build thread Polo. This is my personal reefing journal that I’m ultimately creating for my family. If you want to comment on my actual content, please do; just don’t spam it anymore. If you can delete some of the larger spam posts that will be helpful so I can get the thread back into a chronological order. Thank you, much appreciated.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'ma try some Reef Legends just because they'll be in Phoenix in two weeks. No shipping cost.
@tbrown

Tim,

You’ve tried Dinkins, Reef Chowda, Reef Legends, any others Phyto?

Curious if you’ve seen a marked difference or has it come down to sizing/quantity matching your needs and shipping costs?

I did Algae Barn both Phyto and Copepods and really like other then shipping issues.

Switched to Reef Nutrition Live Phyto and really liked heavy concentration- went a long way and could get thru LFS. But they couldn’t get the particular RN copepod; unfortunately their shipping costs for me to order direct are too much since I use daily.
I tried Dinkins and TSA copepods with the RN phyto. I’d really like to get both from one source. I’m getting the three strains of TSA Phyto and their copepods in my upcoming shipment so it will be cool to see everything Taras has created in my tank together.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have enjoyed your thread! havent read the whole way through it, but enough to be touched :smiling-face:
Ohh, thank you Smitten! It’s here for other’s to hopefully enjoy and glean something from for their tank journey and also for my family to enjoy some day.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@tbrown

Tim,

You’ve tried Dinkins, Reef Chowda, Reef Legends, any others Phyto?

Curious if you’ve seen a marked difference or has it come down to sizing/quantity matching your needs and shipping costs?

I did Algae Barn both Phyto and Copepods and really like other then shipping issues.

Switched to Reef Nutrition Live Phyto and really liked heavy concentration- went a long way and could get thru LFS. But they couldn’t get the particular RN copepod; unfortunately their shipping costs for me to order direct are too much since I use daily.
I tried Dinkins and TSA copepods with the RN phyto. I’d really like to get both from one source. I’m getting the three strains of TSA Phyto and their copepods in my upcoming shipment so it will be cool to see everything Taras has created in my tank together.
I've only done Dinkins and Reef Chowda which I believe is only available locally.

Reef Legends is supposed to be in town next weekend so I'll likely grab some pods or phyto from them at that time but I also just placed a Dinkins order last night so...

I believe Reef Legends uses Reef Nutrition to grow their colonies of both pods and phyto. I've read who Dinkins uses but I can't recall off the top of my head.

I prefer local because it's fresh - especially when it's a mixed bottle. The mixed pods and mixed phyto doesn't stay mixed long because one strain will almost always outcompete the other strains.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only done Dinkins and Reef Chowda which I believe is only available locally.

Reef Legends is supposed to be in town next weekend so I'll likely grab some pods or phyto from them at that time but I also just placed a Dinkins order last night so...

I believe Reef Legends uses Reef Nutrition to grow their colonies of both pods and phyto. I've read who Dinkins uses but I can't recall off the top of my head.

I prefer local because it's fresh - especially when it's a mixed bottle. The mixed pods and mixed phyto doesn't stay mixed long because one strain will almost always outcompete the other strains.
I agree on local - Reef Nutrition is in Calif with me. And I agree on separate bottles for both pods and phyto now that Taras at TSA did the video on why. He created the three strains of phyto in separate bottles along with the pods; and they are sending all of that with my corals I got with spending spree.

Reefing Legends guy has good relationship with Taras so not surprised they are working together in some aspect. Definitely ask him when you see him at the show.

Bottom line, we have quite a few really good vendors to choose from.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Happy Tuesday, everyone! At the request of @ESABOE, we've removed some of the off-topic posts from this thread. She has asked that posts in this thread be kept to the discussion of her tank as this is intended to be a thread specifically for documenting her reef. Thanks for your consideration and helping with that goal! :)

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Tuesday, everyone! At the request of @ESABOE, we've removed some of the off-topic posts from this thread. She has asked that posts in this thread be kept to the discussion of her tank as this is intended to be a thread specifically for documenting her reef. Thanks for your consideration and helping with that goal! :)
Thank you Daniel; much appreciated.

I have expressed this before, in fact in my opening post of this thread, but it bares repeating one last time to better understand my request to have this thread cleaned-up.

Here are the reasons for why I choose to do a Build Thread and why it was important to me to keep it as organized and concise as one could while still leaving it open for others to post as well.

1) As a very new reefer, I don’t have years of experience or precedent to access a Jennifer database of reefing. Therefore, I want to document what is happening with my tank over time, and what I did either correctly or not. My memory, due to many years of chemo, cannot be relied upon for such technical/scientific information to pop-up in my brain.
2) Hopefully, through my detailed Updates, I can help other new reefers not make the same mistakes. But also just as important, that it’s not only ok, but you should embrace the failures as it’s the only way to evolve.
3) And of particular importance to me; to have a reefing journal that my family can read some day. While they know I am extremely passionate about this “hobby” of mine, they don’t understand like we do, what it brings to our lives and what it takes to keep doing it.

Also, for my Smorgasbord fam and anyone else dropping by, please do continue to comment, ask questions, give advice on related topics. This thread isn’t meant to be one-sided and certainly requires humor to thrive.

So let’s get back to those verbose Updates that ya’ll like to tease me about. I will fill some of those older Placeholders where appropriate, but some will just get a Out-of-Office sign.

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As you can see from my introduction post on this Build Thread about my initial experiences, it was World Wide Corals that truly started my journey into reefing; and I have been, and will continue to be a loyal fan and customer!

My dream was to someday get to see their Superstore/Farm and maybe even meet all the crew that have helped me over the years. Well, it finally happened! I reached out to one of the manager’s, Alex Murphy, about the possibility of visiting and getting a tour, including the farm; and also to meet Vic and Josh if they were in town.

He replied with an enthusiastic YES! So, two weeks ago I got to walk through the doors of WWC!

But here’s the thing, I’m not some VIP customer who spends $1K’s of dollars or a social media presence that can draw customers thru their doors. I’m just a newbie reefer, on a budget, who buys during live sales because that’s what I can afford. So my expectation was to get a quick tour, maybe ask a few questions, get a photo, (15-20 minutes of their time). Thought I would spend the rest of my visit just gawking over the lagoon and huge display tanks and purchase a couple corals and some swag.

NOPE!

Not only were Josh and Tommy waiting for me outside to greet me, Inended up spending an entire afternoon with WWC!

Josh spent 45 minutes discussing reefing methodology and techniques as he showed me the lagoon; Vic arrived and the three of us spent time on how keeping it simple was not only their key to success, but was mine as well because I had embraced the WWC way! Vic went in-depth regarding WWC’s overall philosophy and he is as genuine about reefing and it’s future as he is on camera.
When Josh realized I had been waiting for my tank to mature before adding any SPS, he explained I was going in the wrong order and gifted me a very hardy, beginner SPS, the Green Slimer! Very cool he had been really listening intently as I explained where I was in my reefing journey.

Then it was time for the tour and Alex Murphy was my guide. We ended up spending the next 2 hours together as he walked me through each display, raceway, and farm. We connected on some favorite corals, including a Duncan colony in one of the farm’s DTs, called DreamCatcher. While not exactly available, Alex made sure a very generously sized specimen was going home to me! And he kept stopping at each section of the farm to show me something cool - he didn’t want me to miss a thing. The crew in the farm were listening and made sure we found anything I had never seen before - which pretty much was everything- lol. I met another Alex, who everyone calls by his last name, Winslow. Once he heard I loved pink, he couldn’t wait to show me his favorite coral - the Pink ******* Chalice. He even took the time to show me on his phone, the huge colony he is growing at home. I had to buy one; not just because it was a stunner of a coral, but because he was so passionate and I wanted to remember the experience by seeing one in my lil reef.

I even got to visit Lou, Vic, and Ryan’s office and Vic’s tanks were off the charts! So much better in person. Lou was diligently working on his latest revamp of his desk nano tank and proudly showed it to me. I love the fact that someone who is surrounded by tanks all day long is still soo enthusiastic about his little desk tank - says a lot about passion for what you do for a living.

As I ended the afternoon and got big hugs from Alex (who you should make an effort to meet when there) he ensured I had water and came outside a few times to check on me as I waited for Uber. THAT is who WWC is!

Even Josh came out to check on me and he stayed and chatted for another 30 minutes as I waited for my ride. Again, totally unexpected, but I should not have been surprised - he is as down-to-earth as he comes across on video!

I might be repeating myself when describing the people, but that’s because of the consistency of caliber when it comes to WWC!

Here is a photo that I was thrilled to get. Unfortunately, it was Alex taking the photo so I will get one at RAP-Anaheim in September!

@WWC, @revhtree, @Daniel@R2R

IMG_3014.jpeg

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As you can see from my introduction post on this Build Thread about my initial experiences, it was World Wide Corals that truly started my journey into reefing; and I have been, and will continue to be a loyal fan and customer!

My dream was to someday get to see their Superstore/Farm and maybe even meet all the crew that have helped me over the years. Well, it finally happened! I reached out to one of the manager’s, Alex Murphy, about the possibility of visiting and getting a tour, including the farm; and also to meet Vic and Josh if they were in town.

He replied with an enthusiastic YES! So, two weeks ago I got to walk through the doors of WWC!

But here’s the thing, I’m not some VIP customer who spends $1K’s of dollars or a social media presence that can draw customers thru their doors. I’m just a newbie reefer, on a budget, who buys during live sales because that’s what I can afford. So my expectation was to get a quick tour, maybe ask a few questions, get a photo, (15-20 minutes of their time). Thought I would spend the rest of my visit just gawking over the lagoon and huge display tanks and purchase a couple corals and some swag.

NOPE!

Not only were Josh and Tommy waiting for me outside to greet me, Inended up spending an entire afternoon with WWC!

Josh spent 45 minutes discussing reefing methodology and techniques as he showed me the lagoon; Vic arrived and the three of us spent time on how keeping it simple was not only their key to success, but was mine as well because I had embraced the WWC way! Vic went in-depth regarding WWC’s overall philosophy and he is as genuine about reefing and it’s future as he is on camera.
When Josh realized I had been waiting for my tank to mature before adding any SPS, he explained I was going in the wrong order and gifted me a very hardy, beginner SPS, the Green Slimer! Very cool he had been really listening intently as I explained where I was in my reefing journey.

Then it was time for the tour and Alex Murphy was my guide. We ended up spending the next 2 hours together as he walked me through each display, raceway, and farm. We connected on some favorite corals, including a Duncan colony in one of the farm’s DTs, called DreamCatcher. While not exactly available, Alex made sure a very generously sized specimen was going home to me! And he kept stopping at each section of the farm to show me something cool - he didn’t want me to miss a thing. The crew in the farm were listening and made sure we found anything I had never seen before - which pretty much was everything- lol. I met another Alex, who everyone calls by his last name, Winslow. Once he heard I loved pink, he couldn’t wait to show me his favorite coral - the Pink ******* Chalice. He even took the time to show me on his phone, the huge colony he is growing at home. I had to buy one; not just because it was a stunner of a coral, but because he was so passionate and I wanted to remember the experience by seeing one in my lil reef.

I even got to visit Lou, Vic, and Ryan’s office and Vic’s tanks were off the charts! So much better in person. Lou was diligently working on his latest revamp of his desk nano tank and proudly showed it to me. I love the fact that someone who is surrounded by tanks all day long is still soo enthusiastic about his little desk tank - says a lot about passion for what you do for a living.

As I ended the afternoon and got big hugs from Alex (who you should make an effort to meet when there) he ensured I had water and came outside a few times to check on me as I waited for Uber. THAT is who WWC is!

Even Josh came out to check on me and he stayed and chatted for another 30 minutes as I waited for my ride. Again, totally unexpected, but I should not have been surprised - he is as down-to-earth as he comes across on video!

I might be repeating myself when describing the people, but that’s because of the consistency of caliber when it comes to WWC!

Here is a photo that I was thrilled to get. Unfortunately, it was Alex taking the photo so I will get one at RAP-Anaheim in September!

@WWC, @revhtree, @Daniel@R2R

IMG_3014.jpeg
The Pink you-know-what Chalice is a super cool one, but not one I have. I actually (believe it or not) won it as a freebie in a local Facebook livesale a few years back but decided to pass it on to someone else since, at the time, I really didn't have room for a Chalice and was more focused on Favias and Gonis at the time. Disappointed now but someone got a good freebie! Glad you got one!

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Quick Update: Tank is finishing cycling, added TBS rubble and sand (pics coming soon) and copepods being added in a few days.

If you don’t have a tank yet, don’t forget to enter the ESHOPPS giveaway for one of their new Mariner systems! @ESHOPPS.INC
I see you were trying to drum up some competition for me! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow! im impressed! thats really neat. they were one of my first people too! always very helpful when i would call with another question!! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: that would be amazing to go there!
I was soo impressed too Smitten! If you do ever get over that way, I highly recommend; and call ahead for a tour from Alex Murphy. We had a lot of fun.

Are you in Ferndale, Ca? I have family in Ukiah and I lived in Bay Area for 40yrs!

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Pink you-know-what Chalice is a super cool one, but not one I have. I actually (believe it or not) won it as a freebie in a local Facebook livesale a few years back but decided to pass it on to someone else since, at the time, I really didn't have room for a Chalice and was more focused on Favias and Gonis at the time. Disappointed now but someone got a good freebie! Glad you got one!
I had seen it on some of their live sales, but it wasn’t one I could afford at the time. Once I saw it in person though, wow.

And as you know, I like to put fish and corals in my tank that have meaning whenever I can, and Alex Winslow touched my heart!

WWC

WWC Staff
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jennifer,

It was our pleasure hosting you and showing you around the facility!!! Thank you again for sharing your time with us, we had a great time! I am so glad that everything worked out as it should have on your visit. You do owe me a picture when I see you at RAP Cali though LOL :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: . Talk to you soon and again, thank you for being you!!!

-Alex Murphy

OP
OP
ESABOE

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jennifer,

It was our pleasure hosting you and showing you around the facility!!! Thank you again for sharing your time with us, we had a great time! I am so glad that everything worked out as it should have on your visit. You do owe me a picture when I see you at RAP Cali though LOL :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing: . Talk to you soon and again, thank you for being you!!!

-Alex Murphy
Thank you my friend. I will post a pic of all the corals I got once Imhave received and they have been placed in the DT. I will have them acclimate on a rack for at least 2 weeks though - don’t want to rush it.

Each one has a special meaning- that Duncan will remind me of you and your Mom.

Back